Vitamin B2 is one of the most important vitamins that the body needs to function properly. Vitamin B2 is actually a kind of water-soluble vitamin. It is necessary for the body as it can’t be stored in the body. The main role of the vitamin B12 is in the production of energy. Furthermore, it also represents an important nutrient in the diet plan. In this article, we are going to discuss further necessary facts about vitamin B2 or riboflavin. Not just that, we are also going to include the various important essential health benefits of vitamin B2. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the read!
Vitamin B2 or Riboflavin: What is this?
The riboflavin or vitamin B2 is an essential vitamin, which may act as an antioxidant for the body. Vitamin B2 is actually responsible for the maintenance of the healthy blood cells, thus helping to boost the energy levels, contribute to the growth, prevent damages from free radicals, facilitate healthy metabolism, protecting the eye and skin health, and many others.
Due to the fact that it is a water-soluble kind of vitamin, just like all the B vitamins, vitamin B2 should be gained via a healthy diet and replaced frequently, preferably every day. This is in order for you to avoid riboflavin or vitamin B2 deficiency. All of the B vitamins are beneficial in digesting and extracting the energy from the foods that you eat. They of course, do this by way of converting the nutrients from carbs, proteins, and fats into more usable energy in ATP form. For this very reason, the vitamin B2 is necessary for the functioning of each of the cells in the body. The lack of the vitamin B2 may create a lot of serious side effects to the health.
Moreover, when you combine riboflavin with some other B vitamins, you can create the vitamin B complex. As a matter of fact, vitamin B2 should be present in the body in high levels in order to allow the other B vitamins to properly do their own functions. All of the B vitamins are responsible for their own significant functions. These functions include the contribution to the nerve health, blood and heart health, eye and skin health, reducing the inflammation, maintenance of a healthy digestive system and metabolism, and in hormonal function.
Important Sources of Riboflavin
The riboflavin or vitamin B2 is present in various food sources, even though usually it is in trivial quantities. The most important of all the sources of vitamin B2 are liver, edamame, soybeans, brewer’s yeast, and dairy products. Some other source of riboflavin in include salmon, avocados, broccoli, mushrooms, lean meats, and oysters.
Some oily types of fish like herring, eel, and mackerel are also rich in riboflavin. The list may also include beans, sunflower seeds, millet, dried peas, wild rice, shellfish, and eggs. Furthermore, dark green leafy vegetables like spinach and asparagus, mushrooms, and whole grain products are also rich in vitamin B content. Berries, figs, apples, carrots, and cabbage have reasonably low levels of vitamin B2. Luckily, vitamin B2 is not lost when you cook the food sources, dissimilar to other vitamins. Nevertheless, it may get destroyed with strong light and baking soda.
Health Benefits of Vitamin B2
Here are some of the most remarkable health benefits of vitamin B2:
- Helps in boosting the immune system. Vitamin B2 is beneficial in enhancing natural immunity by way of making the antibody reserves stronger. As well as by reinforcing the defense mechanism of the body against any diseases or infections.
- Helps in protecting the digestive tract. Vitamin B2 is beneficial in protecting and maintaining the mucous membrane of the digestive system.
- Helps in repairing tissues. The riboflavin is beneficial in repairing tissues in the body, healing the wounds, as well as other injuries, which may take longer to recover fully.
- Helps in boosting mineral absorption. The vitamin is essential in absorbing folic acid, vitamin B1, B3, Be, and iron better.
- Helps in preventing AIDS or HIV. Studies show that vitamin B2 is beneficial in slowing down the progression of the AIDS
- Helps in protecting the vision. The vitamin B2 is essential in playing the main role in making sure that the corneas are healthy. This is essential in having a perfect vision.
- Essential for the normal growth. The riboflavin is linked to the formulation of protein, thus making it beneficial for the normal growth of the body.
- Helps in protecting the nervous system. The vitamin B2 may help in treating some nervous system illnesses, like Alzheimer’s disease, anxiety, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, and numbness, among others.
- Helps in preventing diseases. The vitamin is essential in preventing various common illnesses like acne, cataracts, eczema, among others. This is one of the best health benefits of vitamin B2.
- Helps in increasing blood circulation. The riboflavin is essential for the formation of new red blood cells as well as antibodies. This is essential in increasing the oxygenation and blood circulation to some organs in the body.