We all know that mushrooms are really delicious especially when added in some meals. There are many varieties of the mushrooms like the shiitake, oyster, beech, maitake and the most popular one which is the button mushroom. This variety of mushroom is usually called commercial or common mushrooms. The reason for that is that they can be found virtually in any store. Also, this is the most consumed mushrooms across the US with an account for 90% of mushroom intake in that country. The health benefits of button mushrooms to look out for as well. So read on to this article, and learn more about it.
That is why we will discuss this mushroom in this article, we will give you the nutrient content as well as the health benefits you can get with this food.
Button Mushroom: What is this?
Table of Contents
The chewy and delicious white button mushroom is the most common variety of the edible mushrooms which are consumed and cultivated worldwide. The common buttons are the flesh fruit bodies which are a member of the plant family of Basidiomycetes. This mushroom has the scientific name called Agaricus Bosphorus.
There are different varieties for this button which are obtainable in various markets but they have the same scientific name and sold at the various stage of harvest and growth.
- White and Immature: the common button, or the table mushroom.
- Mature: Portobello mushroom.
- Brown and Immature: Chestnut mushroom or the cremini. They have a harder brown cap and a thicker It have more distinct mushroom flavor and has a meatier consistency than the white ones.
This variety of mushroom is easily acknowledged in the store or markets for the reason that they are extensively accessible among the cultivated mushrooms. The young and small buttons have an ivory white colored caps that secure around the stem feature. Furthermore, the larger mushrooms have these open caps that has an undersurface brownish gills which will darken as they become mature.
The young button has the unassuming and pleasant flavor that will intensify in an open capped and larger one. You have to remember to avoid the ones that have whitish color underneath its gills feature as they can be toxic.
This mushroom contains a low amount of calories. It is opulent in amino acids and proteins, sufficient level of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. This mushroom is rich in B-complex vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pantothenic acid, and pyridoxine. It also has excellent levels of copper, phosphorus, potassium selenium and zinc.
Below is the table that contains the list of nutrient value from 1 cup (100 g) of this mushroom:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||0.34 grams||1%|
|Dietary Fiber||1 grams||3%|
|Vitamin C||2.1 milligrams||3.5%|
|Vitamin D||7 IU||1%|
|Pantothenic Acid||1.497 milligrams||27%|
Uses of Button Mushroom
Aside from the fresh ones that the chef cut in order to add to different cuisines, there the button varieties which are available in the canned food section. Some of these are canned in water while there are others that are pickled or packed in vinegar and oil. They can be a great topic for individual pizzas for the reason that they have a convenient size. These are also can be a good addition to the salads and stir-fried dishes. When cooking the mushroom, a cook should avoid overcooking them because they can get slimy or rubbery. When the cooks are adding the mushrooms to a stew, he should wait until the last or 1o minutes before adding them.
Health Benefits of Button Mushrooms
There are many health benefits of button mushrooms, which include the following:
- Combats the osteoporosis. This mushroom has a plenty amount of Vitamin D, Vitamin C, and Vitamin B. It fulfills the deficiency of any of these vitamins in the body. It also helps in good absorption of the Vitamin D of the body and cures the osteoporosis painful symptoms.
- Boost the immune system. This mushroom has the polysaccharides which help in strengthening the immune system and boos the bod cells’ performance to fight the foreign bodies. This is one of the best health benefits of button mushrooms.
- Helps in relieving stress. This mushroom is useful in maintaining the adequate levels of fluid in the body and also enhances the reflexive power of our nerves.
- A remedy for diabetes. This mushroom is devoid of cholesterol and fats and contains plenty of fiber. It is also a natural source of certain enzymes and insulin which assist in breaking starch, sugar and other complex carbohydrates in the food.
- Regulates the level of cholesterol. This mushroom has a low amount of cholesterol and fat content. It also contains the enzymes and fibers which effectively and naturally burn harmful cholesterol in the body.