In attaining an optimal health status, it is significant to follow a healthy diet. In the diet that you will follow, you need to incorporate lots and lots of nutritious foods, which must possess various essential vitamins, nutrients, and minerals. These are what will help you in achieving a prime status of health. One of the most vital nutrients that your diet must have is the folic acid or the vitamin B9. Well, folic acid is a type of B vitamin that is water-soluble. This is beneficial in the prevention of heart conditions, cancer, birth defects, and stroke. Well, there are more health benefits of folic acid than meets the eye. If you want to learn more about this essential vitamin, feel free to give this article.
Vitamin B9 or Folic Acid: What is this?
The vitamin B9 or folic acid actually belongs to the water-soluble vitamins family. This is an essential vitamin is commonly available in foods like spinach, Brussels sprout, broccoli, beets, asparagus, liver, whole-wheat products, oranges, lentils, peas, and dried beans. Furthermore, the folic acid is beneficial for the body in producing and maintaining new cells. Not just that, it is also beneficial in the prevention of changes in the DNA, which may lead to the onset of cancer.
As a kind of medication, the folic acid is beneficial in treating folic acid deficiency and various types of anemia due to the folic acid deficiency. Sometimes, people use the folic acid along with some other medications in order to cure pernicious anemia. Nevertheless, it’ll not treat the deficiency at all. Not just that, it will also prevent the potential damage to the spinal column. You need to follow your doctor’s advice all the time.
Moreover, there are some people who use the folic acid in preventing the onset of colon cancer or even cervical cancer. Not just that, it is also beneficial in preventing stroke and heart disease. It is also essential in the reduction of blood levels of homocysteine. Remember, the homocysteine levels might be at a greater risk for a heart condition.
There are also some people who apply the folic acid directly into the gum. It is used as a treatment for gum infections. Usually, it is used in combination with some other B vitamins. Furthermore, the folic acid is necessary for the proper development of the body. It is mainly involved in the production of the genetic material known as the DNA in various bodily functions.
Important Sources of Folic Acid
To be able to make the diet rich in folic acid or vitamin B9, you need to include foods like kidney and liver. Some other great sources of this vitamin are mushrooms, cheese, and vegetables. Cauliflower, brewer’s yeast, legumes, and beans are also some of the rich food sources of folic acid. You may also opt for peas, lentils, brown rice, bananas, and oranges if you want some other options.
Health Benefits of Folic Acid
Here are some of the most significant health benefits of folic acid:
- Helps in treating mental disorders. The folic acid is beneficial in treating various emotional and mental disorders. For example, it is beneficial in treating depression and anxiety. These are two common mental health conditions in the whole wide world.
- Helps in increasing hemoglobin levels. The folic acid is essential in improving the hemoglobin levels in the body. Remember, the hemoglobin is an important component, which is essential for the transferring of oxygen to the cells and the organ systems, which need it to work properly.
- Helps in promoting the formation of red blood cells. The vitamin B9 or folic acid is beneficial in forming the red blood cells. Furthermore, it is also a vitamin that’s essential in repairing the skin cells.
- Helps in preventing birth defects. The folic acid is a reliable resource for the limiting of a birth defect during the pregnancy of a woman. It is actually beneficial in improving the chances of giving birth healthily.
- Helps in reducing the risk of cancer. The folic acid is essential in the reduction of the risk of cancer. It is essential in eradicating the chances of cervical cancer, lung cancer, and colon cancer. This is one of the best health benefits of folic acid.
You should not use folic acid if you are allergic to it.
Even before taking the folic acid, you need to tell your doctor if you are suffering from a kidney condition, have an infection, if you have anemia or if you are alcoholic. It is important to tell your doctor about these things as it may contract or the folic acid may not go along with these.
You need to talk to your doctor about the intake of folic acid while breastfeeding or during pregnancy. Sometimes, folic acid is used along with some other medications in order to treat anemia. Nevertheless, folic acid is not capable of treating vitamin B12 deficiency. Furthermore, it will also not help in preventing damage in the spinal column.