One of the most popular ingredients in a number of food products in South East Asia is the taro root. There are various recipes that use this ingredient, including ice cream, curries, soups, as well as some sweet desserts. In this article, you will know more about this amazingly delicious and beneficial ingredient. Well, not only that this article will explain to you more about taro, it will also tell you more about the health benefits of taro root. So sit back, relax, and enjoy reading!
What is Taro Root?
When talking about the taro root, we refer to the thick tuber of the plant. This particular tuber is very important in various global diets and cuisines. This is because it has been in this world for thousands of years. In the actual fact, taro is believed to be one of the plants that are first cultivated in the human history.
Scientifically, taro is popular as the Colocasia esculenta. This plant, in fact, has an interesting history. Some believe that taro is native to the regions in Southeast Asia, however, it is used and cultivated in a number of places all over the world. Interestingly, it actually seems that every culture uses it to some extent, a different way. It depends on how it is being prepared as well as the variety of the crop that is grown.
Furthermore, taro is also one of the only few crops, which can grow in various flooded areas. This is because of its petioles that may transfer materials even though it is underwater. Moreover. It is also a staple food in the Oceanic, Indian, and African cuisines. However, it is also widely available everywhere from Spain, Fiji, United States, Egypt, and Japan.
The most common form of the taro root is the dasheen. Furthermore, the plant is more commonly popular as the Elephant Ears. This is because of the shape of its broad leaves. The corms, roots, as well as the leaves, are beneficial as dietary ingredients. However, you must cook the plant first to remove all its toxins.
Actually, taro is toxic in its raw form. This is mainly because of its high oxalate content. However, the dangerous substances may be eliminated when you cook it with baking soda. Or if you steep it overnight.
Nutritional Facts of the Taro Root
The taro root is a good source of various vitamins and minerals, which play an important role in the general health. In fact, they are the ones that make up the health benefits of taro root.
100 grams of the taro root may contain:
|% Daily Value
Health Benefits of Taro Root
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of taro root:
- Helps in increasing the blood circulation: the content of mineral in taro root has a lot of useful applications. However, the presence of both copper and iron in the taro root make it an important food in preventing anemia and boost the blood circulation all throughout the body.
- Helps boost the immunity: the high levels of vitamin C in the taro root is beneficial in the stimulation of the immune system to be able to create the white blood cells. These white blood cells are what defend the body from various foreign objects and pathogens.
- Good for the vision health: the beta-carotene, as well as the cryptoxanthin antioxidants, are beneficial in the improvement of the vision. Moreover, they are also essential in preventing free radicals from attacking the cells.
- Helps in improving the heart health: the significant levels of potassium in the taro root are beneficial for the healthy functioning of the heart. It does not only facilitate the transfer of the healthy fluid, it also helps in relieving pressure and stress on the arteries and blood vessels.
- Helps in preventing diabetes: the dietary fiber in the taro root is beneficial in reducing the chances of developing diabetes. This is since it is essential in regulating the release of insulin, as well as the glucose in the body.
- Helps prevent cancer: the rich levels of vitamins A and C, as well as the phenolic acid in the taro root, are beneficial in boosting the immune system. Thus preventing cancer from occurring.
Taro root isn’t really just a tuber after all. The health benefits it has are all astoundingly amazing and are all for the betterment of the health!