One of the most popular nuts in the world is almonds. In fact, it was the most adored fruit of the ancient times, popular in various Indian and Egyptian diets. Not only are they a delicious addition to various cuisines or foods, they also offer a lot of health benefits to look out for. If you want to learn more, keep reading!
What are Almonds?
Table of Contents
Almonds are the seeds of the fruit of the almond tree. Scientifically known as Prunus dulcis, almonds are native to North Africa, India and Middle East. Their taste ranges from sweet to bitter. The sweet ones are often eaten as a snack or used as a cooking ingredient while the bitter ones are used to make almond oil to add flavour to various foods.
There are countless ways to consume almonds. Almond milk is a delicious alternative to cow’s milk, while crushed almonds make a wonderful garnish for various dishes. If eaten on an empty stomach, you can speed up the absorption of the nutrients they offer. That’s right, the nuts have ample amounts of vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients. In fact, almonds are rich in dietary fiber and monounsaturated fat, making them beneficial for the heart.
Uses of Almonds
Almonds are one of the most flexible nuts in the world. Their nutty but sweet flavour makes them a great addition to sweet dishes and various meals. Roasting them brings out a crunchy texture and their healthy oil. While their skin is edible, it has a bitter taste. You can remove it if you don’t like it. Blanched almonds make a great garnish for sweets like cookies and cakes. Furthermore, almond paste is useful for soups or vinaigrettes to add body and nutrition.
Nutritional Value of Almonds
|PRINCIPLE||Amount||% DAILY VALUE|
|Total Fat||49.42 grams||165%|
|Dietary Fiber||12.20 grams||30%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.47 milligrams||9%|
|Vitamin A||1 IU||0%|
|Vitamin C||0 milligrams||0%|
|Vitamin E||26 milligrams||173%|
Health Benefits of Almonds
Here are some of the most surprising health benefits of almonds:
- Helps prevent constipation: almonds are rich in fiber, making them beneficial in preventing constipation. Always remember to keep up on your water intake to maximize this effect.
- Aids in weight loss: unsweetened almond milk may help with weight loss, because the monounsaturated almonds can help satisfy the appetite, thus preventing overeating.
- Helps protect against diabetes: almonds are beneficial in reducing the reactionary rise in the insulin and glucose levels after every meal. This particular modulation may offer protection against dangerous spikes in the blood sugar.
- Helps prevent cancer: this is one of the best health benefits of almonds. The nuts promote the movement of food into the colon, thus preventing any buildup. This can also help prevent the onset of colon cancer.
- Helps boost energy: manganese, riboflavin, and copper are beneficial producing energy in the body and boosting the metabolic rate.
- Prevents heart illnesses: the protein, potassium and monounsaturated fat in almonds help avert possible heart problems by reducing the presence of C-reactive proteins, which cause inflammation that damages the artery.
Almonds are not just a delicious snack or ingredient. They are also beneficial for your general health.