Who wouldn’t know about avocado? Well, most of us maybe know about this amazingly delicious and healthy fruit. Not only that this fruit is good for deserts, it may also be a good addition to various cuisines. Furthermore, the health benefits of avocado, are also something to look out for, as they are all for the betterment of the overall health. Read on to this article to know more about avocado.
Avocado: What is this?
Due to its shape and leathery skin appearance, avocado is also popular as the alligator pears. Mainly, it is grown on the Persea Americana. This is actually an evergreen tree that is part of the Lauraceae family. Even though it bears a resemblance to these relatives, the avocados are closely connected to cinnamon, as well as to the bay laurel.
Usually, it is tall and may grow to about 65 feet in height. Its weight in approximate is between 8 ounces to 3 pounds. This mainly depends on what variety of avocado it is. Commonly, avocado is harvested early and will then be allowed to get ripe in a gradual manner when it is already sold commercially. This is the reason why the fruit is also popular as climacteric fruits. This means that the fruit will only get ripe after harvesting, this is just like bananas.
Moreover, avocados are widely available in a number of varieties. However, the most popular of all is the Hass variety, which is so creamy. Furthermore, the avocado trees grow well in the equatorial, tropical, and subtropical areas. But just like some other fruits, the cultivation of the avocados is much easier in the climate of the Mediterranean.
Due to the number of health benefits of avocado, it is now grown in various countries all over the world. The skin of the avocado is quite thick, which is a very good protection against pesticides. This is the main reason why you don’t need to buy the organic avocados. This is since avocados are naturally safe. In fact, it is one of the safest crops when it comes to the low exposure to various pesticides.
Uses of Avocado
Usually, people eat avocados in its raw form, in salad form, or as dessert whip. The most famous use of the avocados is in guacamole form, a dip that’s good as a topping on sandwiches and hamburgers. You may also use avocado as a substitute for some fat content while you are baking. Also, you can use it as a substitute for mayonnaise in sandwiches. This is a good way to reduce your own intake of unhealthy calories.
Nutritional Value of Avocado
Avocados are considered to be one of the superfoods. It is rich in various vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. These nutrients are what make up the health benefits of avocado.
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||14.66 grams||48%|
|Dietary Fiber||6.7 grams||18%|
|Pantothenic acid||1.389 milligrams||28%|
Health Benefits of Avocado
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of avocado:
- Reduces the blood glucose level: a study shows that the leaf extracts of the avocado are beneficial in the reduction of blood sugar levels in the body. The fiber content of the fruit is also beneficial in slowing down the breakdown of food into practical sugars. Thus making the body absorb it in a balanced manner.
- Strengthens the bones: the carotenoids in the avocados like lutein and zeaxanthin, are beneficial in the reduction of the cartilage defects. Moreover, they are also beneficial in reducing the risk of the onset of osteoarthritis.
- Prevents aging: the consumption of avocado is beneficial in the healthy process of aging. The xanthophyll compound in it is beneficial in this particular benefit.
- Aids in weight management: with regular exercise and healthy diet, managing weight could be easier. The nutritional value that avocado can give is essential for supporting the body, as well as in controlling or managing the weight.
- Has anti-cancer properties: the monounsaturated fats and carotenoids in avocado is essential in reducing the risk of cancers, most specifically the prostate and breast cancer types. Moreover, the glutathione in it is also beneficial in protecting the cells against cancer.
- Promotes heart health: avocado has beta-sitosterol, which is beneficial for the healthy maintenance of the cholesterol levels. Research suggests that consuming avocado may enhance the levels of HDL. Thus protecting the heart against atherosclerosis.
Avocado is not just a simple fruit that we use in making some desserts and cuisines. The health benefits that it has are astoundingly amazing and are all for the betterment of the health.