Dead sea salt has been used for years to treat inflammation. There are even people who go to the dead sea to soak and bathe in it because it’s full of natural health benefits. According to studies, dead sea salt is rich in minerals including magnesium, bromide, sulfur, iodine, zinc, potassium and sodium. These important minerals help detoxify, cleanse and treat our bodies. Soaking in the Dead Sea can help you inside and out.
What is Dead Sea Salt?
Dead Sea salt can be harvested at the southern point of the Dead Sea, which is where the minerals are highly concentrated. These minerals include:
Magnesium: Magnesium can help skin tissue heal faster. It also provides anti-allergy elements for the surface of the skin.
Bromide: Bromide can help soothe the skin, help the body relax and calm the nerves.
Iodine: Iodine is essential for thyroid function, and it can help with the metabolic rate.
Sulfur: Sulfur is a disinfectant which helps the liver remove toxins from the body.
Potassium: Potassium balances the moisture in the body and skin. It can also help nourishcells and maintain the nervous system.
Calcium: Calcium is an important mineral in the development of bones.
Sodium: Sodium is responsible for minimizing cramps and stiff muscles.
Zinc: Zinc can protect the skin from windburn and sunburn, and it also boosts the immune system.
Skin Benefits of Dead Sea Salt
- Dead Sea salt can improve your skin’s hydration levels and reduce rough patches or redness. These anti-inflammatory properties are thanks to its magnesium content, which boosts the absorption and permeability of the skin.
- Dead Sea salt disinfects and cleanses the surfaces of the skin. It contains a small amount of sulfur, which gets rid of oil and can help prevent the spread of acne.
- Dead Sea salt is an exfoliator, sloughing off the dead skin cells that make your skin feel rough, block the pores and cause blemishes. To use it as an exfoliant, combine ¼ cup of coconut oil with ½ cup of ground Dead Sea salt.
- Research has shown that Dead Sea salt is helpful for reducing the signs of aging skin. This is because it reduces roughness, which can contribute to wrinkles.
- The salt can help heal chronic skin conditions, easing the suffering of those who have sensitive, itchy and dry skin. Bathing in Dead Sea Salt-infused water for three weeks can treat psoriasis. If you’re suffereing from atopic dermatitis, you can try climatotherapy, which is when you bathe in the Dead Sea and then spend some time under the sun.
Additional Health Benefits of Dead Sea salt
Dead Sea salt can help rheumatoid arthritis patients. In one study, patients who bathed in the Dead Sea every day for 20 minutes showed improvement after two weeks.
The salt can also ease sore muscles. Soak yourself in the Dead Sea to soothe cramps, minimize any pain or discomfort and just generally feel more relaxed. Researchers also say that bathing in the Dead Sea for 10 days improves the symptoms of fibromyalgia, a condition distinguished by muscle pain, fatigue, trouble sleeping and mood swings.