Have you heard seen or tried hemp seeds before? Hemp seeds are actually one of the best plant-based proteins and GLA sources, which have a lot of benefits for overall health. As a matter of fact, the health benefits of hemp seeds include aiding in weight loss, treating anemia, eliminating insomnia, building muscle mass, stimulating digestion, and improving heart health. Furthermore, they also help in the stimulation of metabolic activity, prevent some types of cancers, build stronger bones, improve hair and skin health, reduce the symptoms of menstruation and menopause, and boost immunity. There is actually more to hemp seeds than meets the eye. If you want to learn more about this amazing seed, feel free to give this article a read.
Hemp Seed: What is It?
Hemp hearts, or what are commonly called hemp seeds, are the seeds of the hemp plant, Cannabis sativa. Technically, hemp seeds are a nut. These crunchy seeds are safe to eat and have just a few traces of THC, or psychotropic chemicals (the main psychoactive compound, which is present in cannabis). Hemp seeds have a creamy, soft filling that has a nutty, mild flavor. People usually eat this seed in its raw form.
Hemp is a common term that denotes a variety of plants in the Cannabis family. This particular valuable and versatile plant may be turned into fuel, cloth, resin, wax, oil, fibers, as well as a wide array of other useful products. Hemp grows worldwide and it can actually grow in a lot of environmental conditions.
The major concern people have with edible hemp products is that they mainly come from the cannabis plant. Nevertheless, hemp seeds, which are sold mainly for consumption, have less than 0.5 percent of psychotropic chemicals, or THC, which makes them completely safe to eat.
Nutritional Facts of Hemp Seeds
Hemp seeds actually rank high in terms of plant-based protein sources. This is because the seeds contain about 25% of high-quality protein, making it grander than some other plant-based superfoods, such as chia seeds, flax seeds, and quinoa. Moreover, it is composed of a huge number of edible oils and a wide variety of essential fats, like the gamma linoleic acid, a rare form of omega 6 fatty acid, and omega 3 fatty acid. Furthermore, these small seeds also contain high levels of fiber, iron, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, and zinc. Not just that, they also possess moderate levels of fats, carbs, manganese, copper, and vitamin E.
Health Benefits of Hemp Seeds
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of hemp seeds:
- Helps in making immunity stronger. Since there is an ample amount of essential vitamins and minerals in hemp seeds, they are helpful for the overall immune system of the body and are beneficial against fighting infections and viruses.
- Helps in preventing cancer. This is one of the best health benefits of hemp seeds. It’s mainly due to their amount of phenolic compounds, which may act as powerful antioxidants that helps prevent some types of cancer by eliminating the free radicals in the body.
- Aids in hypertension. The protein hydrolysate in hemp seeds is beneficial in lowering blood pressure levels, thus, preventing the risk of heart conditions. It also has amazing therapeutic properties, key for the prevention and treatment of hypertension.
- Helps in boosting muscle mass. Hemp seeds have eight essential amino acids, which can’t be made by the body. These are beneficial in the creation of new tissues in the body and in making muscle mass stronger.
- Helps in preventing osteoporosis. There is a modest amount of calcium in hemp seeds. This is an important element in creating and strengthening the bones and help in repairing damaged bones.
- Helps in relieving insomnia. There is an ample amount of magnesium in hemp seeds. This helps soothe and relax the body and also aids in achieving deep sleep.
- Helps in boosting digestive health. There is an ample amount of dietary fiber in hemp seeds, which offers the digestive system a boost.
Cautions on Hemp Seeds
There are some who may experience an allergic reaction to hemp seeds, though it’s not super common. Even less common are those who may experience subtle feelings of euphoria due to the minuscule amount of psychotropic compounds, or THC. This particular effect of the hemp seed is quite rare and is not harmful, yet it may be an uncomfortable feeling if you don’t anticipate it.
Reminder: The use of hemp seeds in many countries is restricted. Therefore, consult your doctor before using it. Other than that, enjoy hemp seeds and all the benefits they have to offer!