Many people are avoiding the nuts because of the reason that these have a high-fat content. What not many people know is there are some nuts out there that are more nutritious than what is expected. The health benefits of macadamia nuts are wide-ranging and are all for the betterment of the overall health.
One of these healthy nuts is the macadamia nuts which is very healthy. This nut is underestimated when it comes to being a nutrient-powerhouse. It contains vitamins and minerals that our body needed. Also, it gives many health benefits such as help in making the heart healthy, helps in making the gut healthy, promotes and effective metabolism, lowers the risk of cancer, an improves the bone health.
Macadamia Nuts: What is this?
Table of Contents
The macadamia nuts are the macadamia tree’s fruit that is native to the East Coast rainforests of the Northeastern parts of Australia. Several regions of Australia, Middle Americas, Hawaiian Islands, South African, and Brazil have these nuts in abundance.
This nut belongs to the family of plants called Proteaceae and that means the trees reaches about 40 feet or 15 meters in height. The tree achieves its maturity and will begin to produce fruit around the seventh year of its plantation. The leaves are elliptical and arranged usually in whorls that range from three to six. The flowers are about 10 inches long and are slender. The nuts are extremely woody and hard, have a pointed apex and also contains one or two seed.
Ferdinand von Mueller who is a German-Australian Botanist is the one who gave the name Macadamia in 1857. The name was in honor for the Scottish-Australian politician, chemist and medical teacher named John Macadam.
Nutritional Facts of Macadamia Nuts
What good about this nut is that it contains the most important and essential vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin C, B Vitamins, protein, folate, iron, manganese, healthy fats, and the antioxidants. Also, the other good thing about this is that it is very low in sodium and cholesterol.
Below is the table of the nutrient content of 1 cup (132 g) of this nuts:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Dietary Fiber||10.6 grams||42%|
|Total Fat||100 grams||155%|
|Vitamin C||0.9 milligrams||2%|
|Vitamin E||0.8 milligrams||4%|
|Vitamin B6||0.5 milligrams||24%|
|Pantothenic Acid||0.8 grams||8%|
Uses of Macadamia Nuts
This nut is easy to incorporate into a diet. It can be eaten by roasting them slightly. You can eat it as a treat for your midday snack or by carrying a small packet of this nut into your bag for a go snack. While you are selecting this nut, remember that you purchase the unsalted and plain variety rather than the ones that are oil roasted.
This nut has a sweet and crunchy taste and nutty aroma. That is why the taste of it easily blends with the sweet delicacies. The crushed and roasted nuts can be sprinkled over sweets, salads, desserts, and cereals. Also, they can be used in preparing the cakes, muffins, and biscuits.
Health Benefits of Macadamia Nuts
The macadamia nuts give you the vitamins and minerals, which in turn flourishes the overall health of the body. here are some of the best health benefits of macadamia nuts :
- Improves the bone health. This nut is a good source of the magnesium, potassium, and calcium which helps in preventing bone demineralization. It has also phosphorus which promotes the mineralization of the bones and teeth.
- Helps in making the gut healthy. This nut contains both the soluble and insoluble fibers which flush the toxins out of our body and aid digestion also. It also is rich in copper which supports the enzymatic reactions in order to improve the digestive health.
- Helps in making the heart healthy. This nut is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids that make the platelets less likely to form a clot in the blood vessels. Through this, we can prevent stroke or heart attack. This is one of the best health benefits of macadamia nuts.
- Lowers the risk of cancer. This nut has a high flavonoid content which is naturally found in the plant which helps in preventing damage to When this nut is consumed, the flavonoid will enter the body and then acts as an antioxidant that protects the cell of the body from the free radicals. The free radical is the main cause of cancer.
- Promotes an effective metabolism. This nut contains many vitamins B-complex that contributes to the metabolism of the body. It also has niacin, riboflavin, and thiamin which are the co-factor of the metabolic Because it contains a high number of the said vitamins, this nut helps our body in producing energy for the whole body.