Who wouldn’t love having a massage after a very tiring day? Well, I bet there’s no one. Massage is very relaxing. Furthermore, it may also help calm not just the body, but also the mind and the overall health. Not just that, massage is also considered as a part of the alternative and the complementary medicine. Well, apart from these, there are more to the health benefits of massage than meets the eye. In today’s day and time, it is now increasingly being offered together with the standard treatment for a wide array of situations and medical conditions. If you want to know more about massage, feel free to give this article a read.
Massage: What is this?
Massage is actually a general term for manipulating, pressing, and rubbing the skin, ligaments, tendons, and muscles. Moreover, massage may range from light caressing to deep pressure. Furthermore, there are various types of massage, including the following:
- Trigger point massage. This type of massage helps in focusing on areas of the snug muscle fibers, which may form into the muscles after overdoing or injuries.
- Sports massage. This is the same with the Swedish massage, yet it is geared toward those who are involved in various sporting events. People use it in preventing or treating injuries.
- Deep massage. This particular type of massage actually uses much slower, more forceful massage strokes in order to aim the deeper layers of connective tissues and muscles. It usually helps with the muscle mutilation from any damages.
- Swedish massage. This is actually a gentle form of massage, which uses deep round movements, tapping, vibration, kneading, and long strokes. It helps in relaxing and energizing you.
One of the most special aspects of massage therapy is that it has the capacity of nurturing the individuals from various age groups. Therefore, one must count on the different health benefits of massage to have a wonderful life ahead.
Health Benefits of Massage
Here are some of the health benefits of massage:
- Helps in increasing the blood circulation. Massage therapy is actually beneficial for the blood to carry the good amounts of oxygenated blood through the body in an improved rapidity. Furthermore, the healing prowess and the speed of the body increases after the massage.
- Aids in skin care. The consistent use of the massage therapy may actually result in a very impressive glow in the skin. This particular easy-to-follow practice is actually considered to be one of the most effective approaches in taking a proper care of the skin, as well as save it from the early signs of aging too.
- Aids in the healthy nervous system. Massage therapy helps in taking away tension, which is dissolved in the body’s nerves. Therefore, the nervous system is recharged through massaging and putting it back to the normal functioning.
- Helps in reducing the pain. Surgeons and physicians to those who are suffering from pain, most especially after the surgery, suggest the massage therapy. Aside from that, migraine pain, as well as lower back pain are also usually treated by massage therapy.
- Helps in improving the heart health. Massage is beneficial of returning the heart its own normal functional levels. So that there’ll be no threats to the life because of a malfunctioning of the cardiovascular system.
- Aids in the proper sleep. Massage therapy is essential in bringing the body under the spell and lets you fall asleep in deep relaxation. This may lead you to have a sound and proper sleep for those who are suffering from sleeping disorders.
- Helps in treating cancer. This is one of the best health benefits of massage. This is actually proven that the extensive massage sessions are essential in reducing various problems due to the cancer cells.
How to Find a Massage Therapist?
You need to ask your doctor or someone that you trust for a recommendation. Moreover, most places regulate massage therapists via registration, licensing, or certification requirements.
Do not be afraid to ask a potential massage therapist questions like:
- How much will the service cost?
- How many massage therapy sessions do you need?
- What is the training and experience that the massage therapist experience?
Is the massage therapist licensed, registered, or certified?
Risk of Massage
Most of the people who undergo massage therapy can benefit from it. Nevertheless, massage may not also be appropriate if you have:
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Severe osteoporosis
- Burns of healing wounds
- Severe thrombocytopenia
- Bleeding conditions
You need to discuss the pros and the cons of massage with your specialist, most especially if you’re pregnant or if you are suffering from cancer or some unexplained pain.
Moreover, some of the forms of massage may leave you feeling a little sore the next day. However, massage must not ordinarily be uncomfortable or painful. If any part of the massage area feel painful or doesn’t feel right, speak it up immediately. Most of the serious problems usually come from excessive pressure during the massage.