Who wouldn’t love eating bananas? We love them for their delicious taste, but we recognize them for their yellow colour. If you were given a red banana, though, would you eat it? You should! Red bananas are a must-try fruit if only for the incredible benefits they can provide for the health. If you want to learn more, keep reading this article!
What is a Red Banana?
Table of Contents
Red bananas are a variety of banana with reddish-purple skin. They tend to be smaller and more plump than normal bananas, also known Cavendish bananas. When red bananas ripen, their skin turns from a cream to a light pink colour. Their texture also tends to be sweeter and softer than traditional bananas. Some compare their flavour to the mango, while others say they have an earthy taste. THe best time to eat them is when they are slightly soft but haven’t been bruised yet, because this is when they tend to have more vitamin C, beta-carotene, iron and potassium. The more red they are, the higher their vitamin C and beta-carotene content.
Many red bananas are exported from the United Arab Emirates (UAE), South America, Asia and East Africa. Just like their more common counterparts, they are generally eaten raw, but they can also be baked or fried into various dishes and desserts.
Nutritional Facts of Red Bananas
140 grams, or 1 serving, of red bananas has:
|Nutrient||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total fat||0 gram||–|
|Trans fat||0 gram||–|
|Monounsaturated fat||0 gram||–|
|Polyunsaturated fat||0 gram||–|
|Saturated fat||0 gram||–|
|Total carbohydrates||35 milligrams||–|
|Dietary fiber||3 grams||–|
Recommended Intake and Use of Red Bananas
You can eat the bananas raw as soon as they are ripe. They make a good addition to desserts, juices or smoothies, and some people love baking them into bread or muffins. Regardless of how you eat them, you’re sure to get the nutrition you need from them. Remember, never eat them when they are fermented. Not only do these not have any of their nutritional content left, but they also may cause some dangerous bacteria to grow in your body.
Health Benefits of Red Banana
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of red bananas:
- Good for the eyes: the vital nutrients in red bananas not only improve your vision, they help improve the overall health of your eyes.
- Relieve stress: the potassium in the banana helps stabilize the heartbeat and water content of the body.
- Good source of energy: the red bananas help convert natural sugars into instant energy. Just add them to your breakfast for an energy boost that lasts all day.
- Help improve blood flow: the rich amount of antioxidants and vitamins in the fruit improve your hemoglobin content and blood flow.
- Help with weight loss: there are fewer calories in red bananas than other fruits, so they can fill you up without contributing much to your total caloric intake.
- Help prevent kidney stones: the potassium helps prevent kidney stones, cancer and even heart diseases. This is one of the best health benefits of red bananas.