Rice milk is a milk that has no dairy at all. it is purely made of rice. Furthermore, just like the soy milk, this milk is very safe to those who are suffering from lactose intolerance. Moreover, this type of milk has a low content of fat, thus making it a wonderful substitute for milk in baking. It is also beneficial in keeping track of the calories and nutrition in the hopes of losing weight. These aren’t the only health benefits of rice milk –there are more to this amazing milk. If you want to know more about this and more, then give this article a read.
Rice Milk: What is this?
Table of Contents
This type of milk –rice milk, is made from boiled rice, brown rice starch, and brown rice syrup. Furthermore, rice milk is also a milk that is free from dairy. In this milk, there is no trace of animal byproducts, thus making it a popular milk alternative for vegans and vegetarians. This is since it also delivers many critical and essential nutrients. Moreover, since it is a dairy-free milk, lactose is also present in it. Hence, those people who are lactose intolerant can consume it.
The flavor of the rice milk that is unsweetened is not that much appealing to some. This is why adding flavor to it to make it like cow’s milk is done. Rice milk is not only an ideal milk alternative for vegetarians and vegans, and those who are intolerant of lactose. However, it is also a good option for people who look for a unique mineral and a boost in the nutrient. This is without taking in so many calories or fat.
Rice Milk: Nutritional Value
The rice milk has a high content of carbohydrates –in fact, it has more than the cow’s milk. But dissimilar from the cow’s milk, the rice milk does not contain lactose or even cholesterol. Hence, the rice milk is much healthier for the heart and for people who have a low tolerance for lactose.
Furthermore, rice milk doesn’t have so much protein milk or calcium, unlike the cow’s milk. Hence, those who are consuming rice milk instead of cow’s milk, they must add more protein to their diet using some other means. However, commercial brands of rice milk mostly are fortified with the nutrient –calcium, thus making it even healthier. This is the reason why a serving of rice milk that’s fortified may provide the same amount of calcium like what is in the cow’s milk. The rice milk is often reinvigorated as well with vitamin B12, vitamin D, vitamin A, and Iron.
One (1) cup of rice milk may contain approximately 140 calories, far way lower than the cow’s milk that has about 185 calories in just a cup of it. Furthermore, rice milk also contains fat of approximately 3 grams per cup. Compared to cow’s milk, which has 11 grams per cup, rice milk is far way lower in fat as well. On the other hand, rice milk still has more fat than that of the skimmed milk, which only has about half a gram in one cup.
Health Benefits of Rice Milk
Here are some of the best health benefits of rice milk:
- Helps in boosting the digestion: because there’s just a few lactose in the rice milk, it is much easier for the digestive tract to digest it. Furthermore, it also helps in promoting the betterment of the gut’s bacterial environment. Hence, it protects you a various infection, as well as indigestion.
- Helps in improving the bone density: because of the fortification of some of the manufactured rice milk, there are lots of minerals in it. This includes magnesium, iron, vitamin D, as well as calcium. These are beneficial in lowering the risk of osteoporosis.
- Helps in reducing the cholesterol levels: since the rice milk has no cholesterol, it is a good beverage for those who are struggling with the problem of obesity and various cardiovascular illnesses. When you drink rice milk, you’ll be able to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis, and some other cardiovascular conditions.
- Helps in preventing chronic illnesses: the antioxidant properties present in the rice milk may help in boosting the immune system’s overall strength. Furthermore, it also helps in the body’s resistance to oxidative stress and various inflammation. This is actually one of the best health benefits of rice milk.
- Helps in taking care of the skin: the antioxidants and acids present in the rice milk are beneficial for the skin. This includes the paraaminobenzoic acid, which is beneficial in giving the skin protection against devastating UV rays of the sun. Hence, reducing the development of blemishes and wrinkles.
Rice Milk: Drawbacks
Since rice milk is mainly from rice, it has a high content of sugar and carbohydrates and is quite low in protein content. Furthermore, rice milk is also low in calcium and fat content, which are important for the development of babies. However, purchasing fortified rice milk to obtain these nutrients can be a good option.