Are you looking for a drink that’s rich in antioxidants and has no caffeine? You might want to try rooibos tea! You can enjoy this delicious tea both hot or cold. Not only that, it offers a lot of health benefits, including preventing inflammation, improving cardiovascular health, boosting bone and skin health and helping those with diabetes or colic. It can also treat premature aging, allergies, hypertension, bone weakness, stomach cramps, eczema, asthma, insomnia and headaches. Keep reading to learn more!
What is Rooibos Tea?
Table of Contents
Rooibos tea is an herbal tea with a lot of medical properties. Derived from the Aspalathus linearis bush plant of South Africa, the tea has a unique red colour and medicinal attributes confirmed by the US Department of Agriculture, who have confirmed that the beverage can help reduce the risk of many serious health conditions, including cardiovascular issues and cancer.
Nutritional Facts of Rooibos Tea
Red rooibos tea contains no oxalic acid, so it may be consumed by those who suffer from kidney stones. Furthermore, rooibos tea is rich in essential minerals, like alpha hydroxyl acid, magnesium, zinc, manganese, copper, potassium, calcium and iron. It also contains antioxidants like nothofagin and aspalathin, and it has extremely versatile and potent phenolic compounds.
Health Benefits of Rooibos Tea
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of rooibos tea:
- Helps delay aging. The antioxidants in rooibos tea slow down the aging process and boost the immunity. Actually, the antioxidants in the tea seek out the free radicals that damage the skin, bones, hair and other organs by making them susceptible to degeneration and diseases.
- Has zero caffeine. Rooibos tea has zero caffeine in it, so it’s especially recommended for those suffering from insomnia. Just one cup before bed may help you have a better night’s sleep.
- Helps lower blood pressure. Rooibos tea helps relieve stress, nervous tension and other hypertensive conditions. It also has the capacity to inhibit the angiotensin-converting enzyme, which causes the blood pressure to rise by contracting the blood vessels. This just shows that drinking it helps lowering your blood pressure.
- Helps treat colic. The tea may be beneficial for children suffering from stomach pain or colic. You may want to add some milk to it to improve its flavor and make it even more palatable.
- Helps improve heart health. Rooibos tea is naturally an anti-inflammatory, which means that it helps reduce the effects of free radicals and blood pressure, just like other antioxidants. This is one of the best health benefits of the tea.
- Rich in antioxidants. There are polyphenols in the tea which have anti-mutagenic, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. These are all essential in fighting off illnesses and lowering the risks of various conditions.
Possible Cautions on Rooibos Tea
In spite of all of its health benefits, rooibos tea can still have some side effects. Because it’s so strong, it may interfere with medical treatments like chemotherapy. Studies have also shown it to have estrogenic properties, which can affect hormone-sensitive cancers like breast cancer. If you have any existing liver or kidney conditions, this might not be the best tea for you. Make sure you talk to your doctor before making any big dietary changes.