There are lots and lots of seafood in the sea that you can choose from if you are craving. There are fishes, squids, clams, and many more. One more that many people like is the sea urchins. Sea urchins are those round shaped and thorny animals, mainly living of course, in the sea. They have a unique appearance and this uniqueness is what makes it a popular ingredient in various dishes. It is a delicious food, no wonder many restaurants serve it. But not just that, the health benefits of sea urchins are more surprising. They are all good for the health. If you want to know more about this amazing sea creatures, feel free to give this article a read.
What are Sea Urchins?
Table of Contents
Sea urchins are actually somewhat an easy to recognize kind of marine animal. This sea creature belongs to the animal group known as echinoderms. Furthermore, there are about 200 species of this sea creature that may be available in the oceans all over the world. The sea urchins typically live in temperate waters found on the rocky bottom of the sea or even close to where the coral reefs are.
Just like any other sea creatures, sea urchins are also getting lots and lots of threats. Some of these threats include overfishing and pollution in the ocean. Furthermore, because of the extreme decrease in the total number of the sea creatures in the wild, they’re now placed in the threatened species list. Meaning, they may be in danger of extinction in the near future.
The size of the sea urchin mainly depends on what species it is. However, usually, they have a diameter of about 1.2 to 3.9 inches. The shape of it is like a globe but is protected with so many long spines. Furthermore, the body of the sea urchin has outspread symmetry, which means every sea urchin can be separated into five even parts.
There are various types of sea urchins that have spikes that are usually packed with venom, one of which is the flower urchin. Moreover, sea urchins are actually omnivores, thus capable of eating both animals and plants. Although they have long spines, there are still a number of enemies that threaten these sea creatures. These include us humans, sunflower stars, crabs, fishes, seabirds, as well as otters.
Nutritional Value of Sea Urchins
10 grams of sea urchins have:
|Vitamin C||0.3 milligrams|
|Pantothenic Acid||0.07 milligrams|
|Vitamin B12||0.13 micrograms|
|Vitamin B6||0.02 milligrams|
|Vitamin B2||0.04 milligrams|
|Vitamin B1||0.01 milligrams|
|Vitamin K||2.7 micrograms|
|Vitamin E||0.36 milligrams|
|Vitamin A||5.8 micrograms|
Characteristic of Sea Urchins
The sea urchins are round in shape that has spines in it. They are also known as hedgehogs of the sea. Furthermore, they come in different colors, depending on what species they are. They are usually in green, olive, black, blue, red, brown, and purple color. Just like any other creatures, they also have feet, organs, mouth, anus, spine, as well as reproductive organs.
Characteristic of sea urchin roe
- Taste: clean and sweet
- Color: orange, mustard, or gold
- Scent: fresh ocean smell
- Texture: buttery, light, firm, and creamy
Health Benefits of Sea Urchins
Here are some of the most surprising health benefits of sea urchins:
- Enhances virility: one of the best health benefits of sea urchins are perfect for those who are suffering frigidity. The sea urchin roes are beneficial in improving the blood circulation, including the reproductive organs. Thus, it is capable of improving the sexual arousal.
- Good source of calories: sea urchins are essential in giving fuel to the body for energy. This is due to the good levels of calories of sea urchins. Moreover, it is also beneficial for the good functioning of the body organs, as well as for a much healthier heart.
- Helps in boosting the immunity: the vitamin A content of sea urchins are beneficial for the nourishment of beta-carotene, which improves the immune system.
- Rich vitamin C levels: the vitamin C content of the sea urchin is beneficial in fighting off different conditions.
- Helps prevent hemorrhoid and other fiber-related illnesses: there is an ample amount of fiber in sea urchins, therefore, they are effective in averting hemorrhoid as well as some other illnesses related to fiber deficiency.
We now know that sea urchins are really amazing. They are oozing with so many vitamins and minerals. Furthermore, the health benefits of sea urchins are also wide-ranging. However, we must still bear in mind that they are already on the list of threatened species. We must control our consumption of it to be able for them to multiply and live a longer life span. This is not just for them, but for us as well –for the balance of our ecosystem.