For some, a crunchy snack is part of an average day. Most people, though, reach for snacks that are high in fat and calories and severely lacking essential nutrients. So what’s a good alternative? Try sweet corn. This article will tell you everything you need to know about what sweetcorn can do for your health, so keep reading!
What is Sweetcorn?
Sweet corn is a type of maize that actually varies, genetically, from the other species. Its kernels are tender and delightful, which is why people all over the world incorporate it into their cuisine. Unlike traditional field corn, sweet corn is picked while its ears are in the milky stage. The cob can either be eaten immediately or it can be frozen to prevent the sugar from turning into starch too quickly.
Corn is native to Central America but was introduced to the world by Spanish explorers. It is now an essential cash crops in various semi-tropical and tropical countries, such as the USA. Even sweetcorn has a few different varieties which differ in maturation, color and sweetness. They are grown according to regional demands and are usually ready to harvest between 65-90 days, at which point the silk is brown and the kernel are firm but milky.
Nutritional Value of Sweetcorn
Sweetcorn is rich in essential nutrients that are useful for the body in various ways. As a matter of fact, they help ensure idyllic function of various internal systems, generate cells, prevent constipation and help those with diabetes. This nutrient-rich starch snack is low in fat and has zero saturated fat, cholesterol or even sodium. It is also high in vitamin C and fiber. To understand more about the essential nutrients that contribute to the health benefits of sweetcorn, refer to the table below:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||1.35 grams||7%|
|Dietary Fiber||2.0 grams||5%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.717 milligrams||14%|
|Vitamin A||187 IU||6%|
|Vitamin C||6.8 milligrams||11%|
|Vitamin E||0.07 milligrams||<1%|
|Vitamin K||0.3 micrograms||2%|
Health Benefits of Sweetcorn
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of sweetcorn:
- Aids in digestion. Sweetcorn has ample amounts of dietary fiber. The insoluble fiber is beneficial in digestion and helps prevent constipation. Those who experience irritable bowel condition and even diarrhea may also find relief after munching on sweetcorn.
- Good for cardiovascular health. Sweetcorn is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which help reduce the risk of heart conditions.
- Helps prevent diabetes. The vitamin B content of sweetcorn is essential in regulating the metabolism of protein, carbs and lipids. Not only that, but the phytochemicals in it also help regulate insulin release.
- Helps improve vision. Sweetcorn kernels possess beta-carotene, which produces the vitamin A that promotes better vision. Moreover, the carotenoid in it also helps reduce the macular degeneration that impairs vision.
- Lowers cholesterol. There is plenty of soluble fiber in the sweetcorn, which is essential in lowering cholesterol levels. There is also bioflavonoids and carotenoid in it, which helps control cholesterol in the blood.
- Helps treat anemia. There is a lot of vitamin B12 in sweetcorn, as well as folic acid and iron. Having a deficiency of these in the body may cause anemia. Therefore, eating sweetcorn is essential in preventing anemia. This is one of its best health benefits.
- Helps strengthen hair strands. The lycopene, vitamin C and other antioxidants in sweetcorn are essential in strengthening hair strands, which helps prevent hair loss.
There is no doubt about it: sweetcorn really is beneficial for the health.