China is widely known as one of the most populated countries around the world, but there are many hidden treasures in the country still to be discovered. One of these is the watermelon radish, a root vegetable which the Chinese believe provides beta-carotene and lutein to boost ocular health. It is also a good source of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Read on to learn more.
All About Watermelon Radishes
Watermelon Radish, also called red meat or rooseheart, is a mumber of the mustard family, alongside turnips, arugula and broccoli. It is a fast-growing root crop, identifiable by its curly green leaves and thin stem.
- The skin of the vegetable is a dirty white which blends into brown and green. Inside, it is bright pink with white dots.
- Its chubby body can be circular or oval-shaped and range in size between that of a golf ball and that of a softball.
- Its weight ranges from 1-60 lbs (.45-27.2 kg)
- Watermelon radish grows grows from late autumn to spring, favouring hot soil conditions and temperatures. Its environment can affect its flavour, which can be bittery or peppery. No matter its flavour outcome, it health benefits will remain the same.
Flavour and Use
- When harvested, the vegetable’s flesh is sweet and firm. However, if harvested out of season, it will be peppery and have minimal sweetness.
- You can eat it cooked or fresh and hot or cold, adding it to vegetable salads alongside creamy dressings, feta, butter, noodles, cilantro, citrus, soba, apples, bacon, vinaigrettes, fennel, cooked eggs, tarragon, mint, cucumbers and white fish.
Fruit or Vegetable?
Are you confused by the watermelon radish? While it shares a name with a popular fruit, it is a vegetable. It’s only called watermelon radish because of its bright pink flesh and red center.
Health Benefits of Watermelon Radish
Watermelon radish is in rich with calories that are good source of energy; the vitamins that helps the body to develop normally; and the minerals which is responsible for making hormones and as well as the enzymes, it is also responsible for the proper functioning of the heart, the bones, the muscles, and as well as the brain to work properly and to make our body stay healthy.
Calories are important for the benefit of our health, it contains 16 calories per cup of a watermelon radishes and it has 89% in water good for the body dehydration.
Eating watermelon radish can improve our balanced diet and healthy life living. These provide the following important minerals for the benefit of our health which are the phosphorus with 43 milligrams, magnesium with 17 milligrams, calcium with 19 milligrams, and as well as the zinc, manganese, sodium, selenium, iron, and copper.
It’s a good news to have Watermelon radish that is rich of the following vitamins such as the Vitamin C with 11 milligrams in 1cup of watermelon radish, in Vitamin A with 8 milligrams and niacin with 1.08 milligrams.
Healthy Watermelon Radish Salad with Pickled Onion
- 1 watermelon radish, sliced and peeled
- 1 onion, sliced and peeled
- 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup of orange juice
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of pepper (optional or very minimal)
- ¼ cup of rice wine (optional, just to add additional flavor)
After preparing your ingredients, follow these steps:
- Place the watermelon radish and onion in a bowl.
- Put in the remaining ingredients and mix.
- Leave to chill in the refrigerator for 9-12 hours for the flavours to fully absorb.