China is widely known as one of the most populated countries around the world. Aside from that, they also have a lot of hidden treasures that are not yet known. One of these amazing nature’s treasure is the watermelon radish. According to Chinese, they believe that the Watermelon Radish provide healthful root crops vegetables by its phytochemical profile that produce beta-carotene as well as lutein good for the eye health. It is also a good source of antioxidants, vitamins, and as well as the minerals. This is where the health benefits of watermelon radish lie.
All about the Watermelon Radish
Table of Contents
Another term for this Watermelon Radish is Red Meat or Rooseheart root crop member of Mustard as well as the turnips, arugula, and the broccoli. It is also a type of radish in Chinese daikon which means it is the family of root crops that grown fast of its curly green leaves that attached to its thin stem.
- The outside color or skin of watermelon radish is blended with dirty white that turns into brown and green while inside of it a bright pink with some portions of white dots as well as thin lines
Body? Weight? Size?
- It has a chubby body circled shaped but sometimes oval that is consist up to 1lb up to 60lb or 0.453592 up to 27.2155 in kg each one of the radishes.
- The ranging size of one radish is from softball up to golf ball
Growing Season affect Flavor?
- Watermelon radish is only accessible when late fall season and as well as spring season in other words in betw
een winter and summer. It usually grows fast in hot soil conditions of temperature to survive, sometimes the flavor may change into bitter sting or into peppery because of the temperature in the environment this may also affect the flavor given by this but still, and it is healthful. Apart from that flavor was change but the health benefits given by this is still the same and it won’t change.
The Taste? Where to use?
- When it harvest during its dedicated season its flesh has sweetened, firm and as well as succulent, and its soft crisp may give us health benefits we did not expect from it but when it harvest during the opposite season the taste may turn into slightly peppery and with minimal sweet taste.
- You can put this cook or fresh and as well as cold or hot in vegetable salad paired with cheeses such as creamy based dressings, feta and as well as butter, noodles such as cilantro, citrus and as well as soba, mild salad greens, apples, bacon, vinaigrettes, fennel, cooked eggs, tarragon and mint, cucumbers, and white fish with these type of food health benefits will run in the human body enrich with nutrients and minerals.
Watermelon radish – is this a fruit or a vegetable?
Are you confused with the watermelon radish? When we read this it seems like it’s a fruit and a vegetable. But the truth is, it’s a vegetable; in fact, it is a root crop vegetable. They called it watermelon radish only because of its appearance inside which is the pink bright color as well as the red in the center part of it.
Healthy Recipe Benefits From Watermelon Radish
Healthy Watermelon Radish Salad with Pickled Onion
- Sliced the 1 Watermelon radish as well as the 1 onion in round shape
- 2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup of citrus juice from orange
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 Tbsp of an olive oil
1/2 tsp of pepper (optional or very minimal)
¼ cup of rice wine (optional just to add additional flavor)
After preparing your ingredients to follow this Steps:
- Wash and Peel the watermelon radish
- Place it in the bowl the sliced (in circled) watermelon radish as well as the onion.
3. Put all the remaining ingredients then mix them all.
- Place it on the refrigerator in 9-12hrs to fully absorb the flavors you’ve put.
- Ready to serve
Health Benefits of Watermelon Radish
Watermelon radish is in rich with calories that are good source of energy; the vitamins that helps the body to develop normally; and the minerals which is responsible for making hormones and as well as the enzymes, it is also responsible for the proper functioning of the heart, the bones, the muscles, and as well as the brain to work properly and to make our body stay healthy.
Calories are important for the benefit of our health, it contains 16 calories per cup of a watermelon radishes and it has 89% in water good for the body dehydration.
Eating watermelon radish can improve our balanced diet and healthy life living. These provide the following important minerals for the benefit of our health which are the phosphorus with 43 milligrams, magnesium with 17 milligrams, calcium with 19 milligrams, and as well as the zinc, manganese, sodium, selenium, iron, and copper.
It’s a good news to have Watermelon radish that is rich of the following vitamins such as the Vitamin C with 11 milligrams in 1cup of watermelon radish, in Vitamin A with 8 milligrams and niacin with 1.08 milligrams.