Have you seen a yellow watermelon already? Have you ever tasted one? This variety of watermelon may sound like it is a made-up fruit, but this is actually real. Not only that, yellow watermelon is not just a delicious fruit that you can indulge in when you are craving for it, or when the weather is so hot. There is more to this uniquely colored watermelon. The health benefits of yellow watermelon are something to look out for. These are not just for the sake of anything bad, but for the betterment of the overall health. If you want to know about this awesome fruit, feel free to give this article a read.
Yellow Watermelon: What is this?
Table of Contents
The yellow watermelon does not look so much different from any other watermelon like the red ones that we usually consume. It is just that the yellow watermelon has a unique vibrant yellow color. Actually, the reason for the color of it is explainable. This natural variety of watermelon actually has experienced a particular genetic mutation, which causes it to not produce or produce very low levels of any lycopene.
Lycopene, as we know is the compound that gives a vibrant color to various vegetables and fruits like the normal watermelon as well as the tomatoes. The yellow watermelon variety is actually the original form of the watermelon. Furthermore, they are first cultivated in Africa. This was not until they were turned into more popular commercial fruits, which were bred for much higher lycopene content.
Slightly sweeter –this is the taste of the yellow watermelon compared to that of the ordinary watermelon that we eat. However, there are still some notable differences with it than the normal red variety of watermelon. Moreover, it has touches of apricot and honey in its flesh. Additionally, the peel or skin of the yellow watermelon actually goes much deeper into the fruit itself. However, the unique color of its flesh is what makes it even more worthwhile.
Yellow Watermelon: Nutritional Value
Many of the same nutritional values as the regular red watermelon are also present in the yellow watermelon. But still, it has some prominent differences. The yellow watermelon has high levels of vitamin C and vitamin A, which are fitting to the daily requirement of these essential vitamins. Furthermore, there are about 50 calories in a single cup serving of yellow watermelon. Also, it has a relative amount of potassium as well as sodium. Though the red watermelon has ample amount of lycopene, the yellow ones are rich in beta-carotene, which is a beneficial antioxidant that’s good for the body.
Here are a more detailed nutritional fact of the yellow watermelon:
- Iron: 2%
- Calcium: 1%
- Vitamin C: 21
- Vitamin A: 17%
- Cholesterol: 0 gram
- Sodium: 2 milligrams
- Potassium: 173 milligram
- Protein: 1 gram
- Sugar: 9 gram
- Dietary fibre: 1 gram
- Total carbohydrates: 11 grams
- Saturated fat: 0 gram
- Monounsaturated fat: 0 gram
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0 gram
- Total fat: 0 gram
- Calories: 46
Yellow Watermelon: Applications
There are various uses of the yellow watermelon. But largely, it has the same uses as the watermelon. Furthermore, the consistency of both the red and yellow watermelon is just the same. Hence, the yellow variety can still be a good addition to various fruit smoothies and fruit salads. You may also juice the yellow watermelon for some amazingly sweet and rich in nutrients beverage. They’re good to eat as well –even if it is raw or as a base for some light and refreshing salad.
Health Benefits of Yellow Watermelon
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of yellow watermelon:
- Helps relieve asthma: the yellow watermelon helps in keeping and dilating the respiratory tract to be able to prevent the recurrence of asthma. This is mainly because of the zinc and vitamin C content of yellow watermelon. Moreover, it is also beneficial for the easy breathing.
- Helps in maintaining the blood pressure level: regular consumption of yellow watermelon is beneficial in maintaining the proper level of blood pressure. Furthermore, it also helps in keeping the heart health conditions very well.
- Helps in protecting the digestive system: the dietary fiber in the yellow watermelon is beneficial in accelerating the digestion. This is one of the best health benefits of yellow watermelon.
- Helps in strengthening bones: the protein, potassium, as well as the calcium content of the yellow watermelon is beneficial for the growth of the bones. These essential nutrients help in strengthening and accelerating the growth of the bones.
- Helps maintain the eye health: the vitamin A in the yellow watermelon is beneficial in maintaining a good eye health. Moreover, it also helps in increasing the ability of the eyes to see clearer.
- Helps make the blood vessel smooth: the citrulline in the yellow watermelon is very beneficial for the body. This helps the body in draining some other compounds into the body. Furthermore, it also helps in making the flow of the blood vessels in the body smooth.