We are all familiar with lettuce. We see it on burgers, in salads and with many of our other dishes. Are you able to discern between types? Iceberg lettuce is one of the most common, used as an ingredient in many salad recipes and cherished for its crunchy texture. Not only that, the lettuce offers a lot of health benefits. We’ll go over them in this article, so keep reading!
What is Iceberg Lettuce?
Iceberg lettuce is also known as crisphead lettuce. Some say that it is only good for the health because of its empty calories, but it also has a lot of nutritional value. Not only that, but it keeps longer, which makes it a more economical choice as it reduces waste.
Iceberg lettuce is one of the many varieties of lettuce that has crisp leaves and grows in a spherical shape like a cabbage. Like butterhead and romaine, it is considered to be one of the sweetest varieties of lettuce. Mature iceberg lettuce may grow approximately 1 foot in length, and its leaves will change in shade from green to pale yellow and white as they get closer to the center.
Iceberg lettuce has a mild flavor and a crunchy and firm texture, which makes it a good choice for salads, as a garnish or shredded in snacks. Some argue that it is useless, saying that eating it gives you as much nutrition as eating cardboard. Sure, compared to other varieties of lettuce, iceberg lettuce has less nutritional value, but we’ll discuss its nutritional content here, so keep scrolling!
Nutritional Value of Iceberg Lettuce
In spite of its reputation of scoring zero in the nutritional scale, iceberg lettuce is capable of providing good amounts of vitamin K and vitamin A. It also has small numbers of other healthy nutrients. Although it is low in fiber, it has a high water content, thus making it a refreshing choice in hot weather. Not only that, it also provides folate, vitamin C, potassium and calcium.
The nutrients in iceberg lettuce may help you meet the standard daily value needs of various vitamins and minerals. These nutrients include:
- Potassium, beneficial in reducing blood pressure by reducing the effects of salt on the body.
- Folate, beneficial in making the genetic material and DNA.
- Vitamin A, beneficial in maintaining night vision and the eye health.
- Vitamin K, beneficial in working with calcium to prevent any bone fractures.
- Calcium, beneficial in keeping the teeth and bones strong.
- Vitamin C, beneficial in keeping the immune system strong and healthy.
Health Benefits of Iceberg Lettuce
Here are some of the most striking health benefits of iceberg lettuce:
- Helps fight diseases. The folate content of iceberg lettuce is thought to be beneficial in fighting cancer, strokes and heart disease.
- Helps with blood clots. Iceberg lettuce possesses vitamin K. This particular vitamin is beneficial in the production of proteins necessary for the body’s normal blood clotting.
- Helps prevent birth defects. Iceberg lettuce is a good source of folate. Remember, if you are pregnant, consuming foods rich in folate helps prevent birth defects like anencephaly and spina bifida.
- Helps improve overall health. The rich vitamin A content of iceberg lettuce is essential in improving eye health. Not only that, it is also beneficial in the bone’s growth and development and making the immune system stronger.
- Beneficial for weight loss. Iceberg lettuce is very low in calories and has a high water content. This is what makes it essential in encouraging weight loss efforts.
There is no denying that iceberg lettuce is really beneficial for the overall health. Therefore, if you want to add a boost to your health, try adding it to your diet.