Have you tried donating your blood to those who are in need of it? How about donating it to a mass blood donation activity? If you do, then you must have tried becoming a great life savior. As we all know, a lot of people are getting into accidents every day –a lot of these patients need blood assistance. There are also some who suffer from blood condition, who need blood transfusion each and every time. That’s why blood donating is really important. However, did you know that the ones who get your donated blood are not just the only one who benefits from this activity? Actually, you too can benefit from it! As a matter of fact, there are lots of health benefits of blood donation that may surprise you! Give this article a read and get to know more about these!
Table of Contents
As what I have said earlier, each and every day, blood transfusion takes place and save lives of so many people from all over the world. Actually, donating blood is good not just for the ones who need it, but also for you who donated. Furthermore, it is significant that the blood donations take place in a blood bank, a clinic, or a hospital. With, of course, the presence of a medical expert. The donors must also make sure that they’re in good health in order to avoid any health conditions to those who will use it.
Moreover, donating blood may actually help in treating those who suffer from chronic anemia, bleeding conditions, cancer, and many other blood-related conditions. It is very important that you know the human blood is not manufactured. We, people, are the only source of it. This is the reason why it is so important that you donate blood and help those who are in need of it. Furthermore, it is possible that you store your own blood as well for future purposes. Make certain that the blood is in a good blood bank.
In addition, a small health examination, which includes a checklist for conditions related to the blood pressure and infectious conditions must be conducted before the initiation of the collection of the blood. Those who have taken vaccinations or have undergone surgical operations or have flu, cold, diabetes, and cancer must consult health specialists first before donating their blood. Moreover, pregnant women must also seek some expert advice before the donation.
Health benefits of Blood Donation
Here are some of the most surprising health benefits of blood donation:
- Helps in stimulating the blood cell production. After blood donation, the body will work to replenish the blood loss. This is what will then stimulate the new blood cell production, thus, helping in the maintenance of good
- Aids in weight loss. The regular donation of blood may help in reducing the overall weight of the donor. This is beneficial for those who are at risk of cardiovascular diseases and those who are obese. Nevertheless, blood donation must not be very often.
- Helps in maintaining the healthy liver and heart. The blood donation is essential in reducing the risk of liver and heart conditions. Furthermore, blood donation is also beneficial in the maintenance of iron levels and reduce the risk of some health conditions.
- Possesses anti-cancer properties. The blood donation is essential in lowering the risk of cancer. Through this, the iron stores in the body will be well-maintained. The reduction of iron levels may lower the risk of cancer. This is one of the best health benefits of blood donation.
- Helps in preventing hemochromatosis. If you donate your blood, you are reducing your risk of developing hemochromatosis. This is a condition, which arises because of the excess absorption of iron in the body. The regular blood donation may be beneficial in reducing the iron overload in the body. Make sure, however, that the donor meets the standard eligibility criteria of being a blood donor.
The Process of Blood Donation
It’s always a good thing to make an advanced plan for a blood donation. You need to consult your doctor before donating your blood. If you have any health concerns or issues, your doctor must know it before you can donate. Moreover, it is also a great thing that you have a healthy diet many a week or two before you donate. On the blood donation day, make sure that you are very well hydrated, thus drinking a lot of water is important. Furthermore, you should also wear comfortable clothes during the blood donation process. In case that you are going through a medication or treatment, it is suitable for you to inform the blood bank or hospital or clinic where you’re donating your blood.
How Often can you Donate Blood?
A donor must wait for about 8 weeks between one whole blood donation. Furthermore, the waiting period of 16 weeks in between the power red donations. The donor must also avoid donation if they are suffering from any conditions, and must consult experts before doing the donation.