There are just a few supplements, which almost everyone may benefit from, and there are some others which are really worth your money. Most especially if you have a certain illness, which the body needs to support in order to function properly. One of the most essential supplements is the CoQ10 or the Coenzyme Q10, which is an antioxidant that the body naturally produces. There are also a lot of health benefits of Coenzyme Q10, which are beneficial for the overall health. If you want to know these and more, feel free to give this article a read!
What is the CoQ10?
As we’ve mentioned earlier, the Coenzyme Q10 or CoQ10 is an antioxidant, which is naturally found in almost every cell in the body. We know that the antioxidants are the substances, which help in breaking down the free radicals. These free radicals are not good for the body and may cause various illnesses, including heart disease, and cancer.
Moreover, the CoQ10 is a compound that is made by the body and stored in the cell’s mitochondria. Know what mitochondria are? This is the part in the cell that is in charge of the production of energy. They are also the ones that protect the cells from any oxidative damages and disease-causing viruses and bacteria.
As what I’ve said, the CoQ10 is present all over the body. Nonetheless, the huger amounts of it are in the heart, kidneys, liver, and pancreas. Our body has approximately 0.5-1.5 grams of CoQ10, 50 percent of which are present in the mitochondria. Furthermore, the CoQ10 also plays an important role in safeguarding the authenticity of the mitochondrial membranes.
In foods, the enzyme is present mainly from meat and seafood. Moreover, vegetarians may avail this in artificially synthesized CoQ10 supplement form. In addition, the production of the CoQ10 reduces as the age progresses. Therefore, older people sometimes look deficient in this particular compound.
Studies show that the CoQ10 plays various important roles in the body. One of which is helping in the generation of energy in the cells. This is involved in the production of ATP or Adenosine Triphosphate. This is involved in the energy transfer within the cells. One more is serving as an antioxidant and help in protecting the cells against oxidative damage. The low levels of CoQ10 have been linked in the onset of chronic diseases.
Having low levels of CoQ10 in the body may lead to some drastic changes in the health. As what I have said earlier, CoQ10 is connected to the onset of various chronic diseases. This is mainly because the ATP is beneficial in carrying out all the functions of the body as well as the oxidative damage, which is destructive to the cells.
Some other causes of the CoQ10 deficiency may include the following:
- Side effects of statin treatments
- Oxidative stress because of aging
- Mitochondrial conditions
- Increase in the tissues as a result of the disease
- Genetic defects in the CoQ10 utilization or synthesis
- Nutritional deficiencies, such as vitamin B6 deficiency
There is no denying that the CoQ10 is beneficial for the health.
Health Benefits of Coenzyme Q10
Here are some of the most surprising health benefits of Coenzyme Q10:
- Good for the skin. Studies suggest that the topical application of this enzyme is good for the skin. This is mainly due to its antioxidant properties, which helps in erasing wrinkles, fine lines, and other signs of aging, and mending the damages caused by free radicals.
- Helps in boosting the immunity. The CoQ10 is beneficial in making the immune system stronger via scavenging the unwanted free radicals. Furthermore, the enzymes are also beneficial in lowering the cholesterol levels.
- A natural energy promoter. The CoQ10 is essential in slowing the blood clotting and increasing the energy in the body. This is because of its capacity to produce ATP, which is a kind of molecule that works as a rechargeable battery and keeps on transferring the energy to various body cells, thus increasing the energy levels.
- Aids in losing weight. Since it is an antioxidant, the CoQ10 may have the capacity of freeing the body from any harmful toxins. Thus ensuring a better metabolic rate. The higher the metabolic rate, the faster you will lose weight.
- Helps to treat various medical conditions. The CoQ10 is essential together with various cancer medications. In fact, this conjunction may render better healing results especially in the cases of breast cancer.
- Gets rid of gum diseases. The Coenzyme Q10 supplements are essential in treating gum diseases. This is maybe one of the best health benefits of coenzyme q10 for those who have gum problems.
- Helps in thwarting off diabetic neuropathy. Nerve damage or neuropathy is the main cause of death among diabetics. Studies show that the improvement of CoQ10 may help in lowering the risk of neuropathy.
- Helps in the overall heart health. The coenzymes q10 is beneficial in the retention of the normal oxidative condition of the LDL cholesterol.
Truly, CoQ10 is beneficial for the health.