Who doesn’t love grapes? You can eat them while sitting in front of the television and watching your favorite movie! This amazing fruit doesn’t taste good, but they’re also extremely nutritious and offer a lot of health benefits. Grapes can boost your mood, treat diabetes and even help treat cancer. This is all without any side effects, either! That’s why you should eat grapes whenever you get the chance. If you want to learn more about these amazing little fruits, keep reading!
What are Grapes?
Table of Contents
Grapes, scientifically known as Vitis vinifera, come from the Vitaceae family. First cultivated about 8,000 years ago in the Middle East, there are 72 million tons of grapes grown every single year these days, and about 7.2 trillion gallons of wine.
Grapes are often referred to as “The Queen of Fruits” and are categorized into colour groups ranging from black to green and red. You may have tried one of their byproducts, such as sultanas, currants, raisins, juice, jam, jelly and more. Not only do grapes add flavour and vibrance to your dishes, but they also play a beneficial role in diets. Seeds can reduce swelling and ease diabetes-based eye conditions, while their extract offers many antioxidants.
Nutrition Facts of Grapes
Grapes are a powerhouse of nutrients and essential vitamins and minerals. In fact, they are a great source of various phytonutrients, primarily polyphenols and phenols, and they offer various important vitamins, including vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin K. Not only that, but they are also rich in folate, niacin, riboflavin and thiamine.
The mineral content of the fruit includes sodium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium and potassium. Grapes have high water content, which means they help keep up the body’s natural hydration levels, as well as notable amounts of dietary fiber, protein, healthy carbohydrates and antioxidants. The flavonoids in them, quercetin and myrcetin, help reduce the onset of free radical damage, which causes aging and cancer.
How to Eat Grapes
Here are some of the healthiest and easiest ways to consume grapes:
- Salads and curries: you can add grapes to your salads and curries for additional flavor.
- Cocktails and beverages: you can always use the fruit to make a healthy and delicious drink.
- Desserts: since they taste sweet, grapes make a good addition to and flavoring agent for various desserts.
- Snacks: this may be is the most common way to eat this delicious fruit, as it satisfies hunger and cravings.
Health Benefits of Grapes
Here are some of the most surprising health benefits of grapes:
- Help prevent cancer: the anti-cancer properties of grapes are a force to be reckoned with. They contain resveratrol, which has anti-inflammatory properties and it effective lowering the chances of breast and colorectal cancer. Furthermore, the proanthocyanidins and anthocyanins in the fruit also help inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
- Help reduce cataracts: there is no cure for cataracts yet, so grapes are your best best to ease symptoms so far. The flavonoids in the fruit help reduce the damage caused by free radicals.
- Help boost immunity: grapes are rich in vitamins, minerals and flavonoids. Furthermore, the vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K in them helps boost immunity.
- Help prevent macular degeneration: the fruit is beneficial in preventing various vision conditions related to aging, including macular degeneration, which affects those that are elderly.
- Help prevent breast cancer: grapes, more specifically concord grapes, help prevent the onset of breast cancer. In one study, grapes were shown to reduce mammary tumor masses.
- Help prevent heart condition: grapes may increase the levels of nitric oxide in the blood. This can prevent blood clots, making grapes a great way to lower your chances of a heart attack and atherosclerosis.