When talking about the citrus fruits, lime is one of the favorites. Whether people eat it as a fruit, use it in some dishes, or drink it as a juice, everyone really enjoys it. Not only that it gives pleasure and happiness while we eat them, they are also oozing with so many benefits. Furthermore, the health benefits of lime are all surprising and are all beneficial for the betterment of the overall health.
Moreover, the amazing health benefits of lime comprise giving relief from constipation, reduction of urinary and respiratory disorders, improving the digestion, and losing weight. Not just that, lime is also capable of treating various illnesses like gums, gout, peptic ulcer, piles, and scurvy. Furthermore, it also helps in taking care of the skin and eye health.
What is Lime?
The scientific name of lime is Citrus Aurantifolia. It has been popular because of its medicinal uses and properties ever since. Because of its distinct flavor, the lime fruit is popularly consumed by many people all over the world, and it also has non-culinary and culinary purposes. Furthermore, it can also be beneficial in the preparation of some health and cosmetics products.
Furthermore, lime is also widely used in making cocktails, confectioneries, candies, snacks, sorbets, pickles, jams, and many other products. Aside from the consumption, the oil from lime peel is also beneficial as perfumes and aromatherapy.
Nutritional Value of Lime
The lime consists of water –in fact, in 31 grams of lime juice, there is 28b of water and there are about 8 calories. Furthermore, obviously, since it is part of the citrus family, it is of course, rich in vitamin C. Moreover, it is also rich in dietary fiber and various minerals like phosphorus, magnesium, copper, potassium, iron, choline, betaine, vitamin K, vitamin E, vitamin A, folate, and calcium.
The best that the lime can offer is its low-calorie content, small amounts of carbohydrates, and it also has zero fats. Furthermore, the lime pulp and peel are also oozing with various phytochemicals, including terpenes, and polyphenols.
Health Benefits of Lime
Here are some of the best health benefits of lime;
Helps in preventing cardiovascular diseases. This is one of the most amazing benefits of lime. Mainly, it is because of the rich level of dietary fiber in lime. This not only maintain the blood sugar levels, it also helps in eliminating the bad cholesterol in the body.
Helps in managing diabetes. Since they are rich in dietary fiber, limes are beneficial in supporting the body’s regulation of sugar thru the bloodstream. Thus, reducing the blood sugar spike occurrence, which is a serious risk to diabetes patients.
Helps relieve constipation. The acid amount of lime is very ample; hence, it is beneficial in clearing the excretory system by cleaning and washing the tracts.
Helps in losing weight. One excellent way to reduce weight is drinking a warm water with lime. Not only that, it also helps in refreshing the body. Moreover, the citric acid in the lime also helps in burning fat. Consuming 2 glasses of it a day may lead to weight loss.
Helps in digestion. The amazing aroma of lime can surely make the mouth water, this thing will also help in digestion. Why? This is because the digestive saliva floods the mouth before even tasting it. Then the natural acid content of the lime does the rest.
Helps in taking care of the skin. You can use the lime juice topically. This helps in rejuvenating the skin and it also protects it from further infections. Moreover, it also helps in reducing the body odor because of its high levels of flavonoids and vitamin C.
Helps in treating scurvy. The deficiency in vitamin C or scurvy is curable with the moderate consumption of lime. This is primarily because of the rich content of vitamin C the lime has.
Other Uses of Lime
Here are some of the surprising uses of lime:
- Medicinal Use: since the lime is rich in disinfectant, antiseptic, and antibacterial properties, it is beneficial as a medicine for various illnesses.
- Cosmetic products: lime can be beneficial as a component for fragrance. In fact, it works best on the skin. Furthermore, it is also beneficial as a fixative in various cosmetic products like body soap, deodorant, toothpaste, body oil, hair oil, and many more.
- Beverage: when it comes to fresh beverages, sorbets, cocktails, lime is the favorite ingredient, especially in bars.
- Perfumes and aromatherapy: the oil from the peel of the lime is beneficial as an aromatherapy or perfume. This is since its smell or fragrance have a stimulating effect on the mind and the body.
- Cleansing agent: lime is capable of increasing the cleansing properties of any facial cleanser just by adding 2-3 drops of it into the product.
- Culinary use: lime can be a food enhancer as well. In fact, it can be used in garnishing dishes, and some other way you want.