Summer is a season, which brings along a range of water-based and juicy fruits that are enough in tantalizing the taste buds. Who would not love the delicious and exotic lychees? They may be small in size, but as the saying goes, “big surprises come from small packages”. One fact, did you know that in ancient China, giving lychee as a gift to the queens and kings was already considered to be a prodigious honor? Yes, pal, you’ve read it right! Not only that this fruit is historic, it is also tasty and so beneficial for the health. In fact, the health benefits of lychee are all for the betterment of the overall health.
Lychee: What is this?
Scientifically, it is known as Litchi chinensis. Lychee is actually part of the soapberry family, however, it is the only member of its very own genus. This means that lychee is so unique in this world. Moreover, lychee is a fruit tree, which may grow in the subtropical as well as in tropical climates. In fact, it is native to the country of China.
The smell of the fruit is so much like of a flower and is often useful in adding flavor to cocktails as well as in some dishes due to its unique aroma. The aroma vanishes when not freshly consumed. Furthermore, the fruit is mainly useful in desserts in various Asian nations. Furthermore, it is also a growing popularity in some other part of the world as well.
Lychee has been cultivated in China for more than 4000 years now. In fact, it is considered to be a great delicacy of the Imperial court. Many nations are now cultivating the fruit, but the main producers of the fruit are still in South Africa, India, China, and some other countries in Southeast Asia.
Lychee is a fruit that is so pulpy and so soft, it has a pink or white color, and its size is about 2 inches in width and height. Furthermore, the fruit is highly famous in various countries all over the world due to its health as well as medicinal benefits. These are high due to the rich levels of nutrients as well as the organic compounds that are present in them.
Nutritional Facts of Lychee
The health benefits of lychee are so many. These are due to the ample amount of nutrients in the fruit. In fact, there is an abundant amount of manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, folate, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, and vitamin C in the fruit. Moreover, lychee is also a good source of dietary fiber, polyphenolic compounds, proanthocyanidins, as well as protein.
In a hundred grams of lychee, there are:
|Vitamin K||0.4 µg|
|Vitamin D||0 IU|
|Vitamin D||0 µg|
|Vitamin E||0.07 milligrams|
|Vitamin A||0 IU|
|Vitamin B12||0 µg|
|Vitamin B6||0.1 milligrams|
|Vitamin C||71.5 milligrams|
|Dietary fiber||1.3 grams|
Health Benefits of Lychee
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of lychee:
- Helps in increasing libido. Various studies show that the fruit is beneficial in stimulating the libido due to its abundance of vitamin C, copper, as well as potassium.
- Helps prevent anemia. The rich levels of copper in the fruit is beneficial in an increase in the number of red blood cells in the blood.
- Make bones stronger. The fruit is full of compounds necessary for healthier bones, just like iron, copper, manganese, magnesium, and phosphorus. Moreover, these minerals are in fact, essential in increasing the absorption of calcium in the bones, which makes them stronger.
- Help regulate the blood pressure. The balance of sodium, as well as potassium levels in the fruit, is beneficial in maintaining the proper level of blood pressure.
- Helps in strengthening the immunity. The vitamin C content of the fruit is so high, thus making it beneficial in making the immune system stronger.
- Provides instant energy. The vitamin C in lychee is essential in the production of collagen as well as carnitine in the body. These are essential in the breakdown of fats, thus providing us with instant energy.
- Helps in regulating blood circulation. The magnesium, manganese, iron, folate, copper, as well as vitamin C, are beneficial for the circulatory system of the body.
- Helps prevent cancer. Research shows that the fruit has powerful antioxidants as well as flavonoids that are effective anticancer compounds. This is also one of the best health benefits of lychee.
- Improves digestion. The water content of the fruit is beneficial in relieving various stomach illnesses as well as aid in digestion.
Truly lychee is not just a delicious fruit, all of its health benefits are also staggering. You will never regret eating this fruit if you do, so what are you waiting for? Try it now!