Have you heard of the pinto beans already? How about seeing or tasting one? If your answer to these questions is yes, then you are lucky because you have tried acquiring the necessary health benefits it has. Even though it has a weird appearance, it is undeniable that it has an amazing effect for the health. On the other hand, if you answer the above-mentioned questions, you are still lucky. Because in this article, you will get to know more about the health benefits of pinto beans, as well as some other necessary information about it. Read on if you want to know all of these, enjoy!
Pinto beans: What is this?
Table of Contents
The pinto beans are almost certainly the most famous beans in Mexico and in America. Have you tried burrito? Well, if yes then you have already known that the beans are the most common fillings in it. Even though the beans are so popular in Mexico and America, originally, the beans are from Spain. In fact, the name of the seeds “pinto,” actually means painted in Spanish. The name is due to the beautiful appearance of the beans if you cook them.
Scientifically, it is popular as the Phaseolus vulgaris. These are primary foods that are the same as yams, potatoes, and rice, especially in winter. It appears in beige color and it stained with red color. This is why it may easily found in the market. However, this unique appearance of the pinto beans vanishes once you are cooking them already. In fact, the beans may become pinkish brown in color. Furthermore, the consistency of the beans is so creamy, thus making it one of the most delicious beans on the planet.
Nutritional Values of Pinto Beans
The pinto beans are considered to be high in nutrients. They are rich in various essential vitamins, minerals, proteins, iron, and fiber. Thus making it a home for so many health benefits as well.
100 grams of pinto beans may contain the following:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||1.23 grams||6%|
|Dietary Fiber||15.5 grams||41%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.785 milligrams||16%|
Health Benefits of Pinto Beans
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of pinto beans:
- Helps minimize the formation of homocysteine: the rich antioxidant properties, magnesium, vitamin B6, and folic acid content of the beans are beneficial in reducing the risk of the formation homocysteine in the body.
- Helps in promoting heart health: the beans are excellent sources of magnesium, potassium, fiber, and folate. All of these nutrients are essential for the promotion of the smooth blood circulation. As well as in the prevention of the risk of heart illnesses. Therefore, these beans truly are beneficial for the promotion of the heart health.
- Aids in weight management: there is no fat in the pinto beans. However, it is rich in vitamins, minerals, as well as in fiber. Thus, the regular consumption of these beans is essential in averting the excess weight and help in balancing the diet. Moreover, it also helps avert the risk of being obese.
- Helps in preventing the risk of cancer: this is probably one of the best health benefits of pinto beans. It is rich in minerals like magnesium, copper, phosphorus, molybdenum, potassium, and iron. All of these necessary minerals and the antioxidant properties of the beans are essential in neutralizing the activity of the free radicals in the body. Thus preventing cell damage, and the growth of cancer cells.
- Helps in preventing anemia: the copper and iron content of the pinto beans are important for the formation of the new blood cells. Moreover, the pinto beans are also beneficial in the prevention of the risk of the development of anemia.
- Helps in enhancing the nervous system: the molybdenum content of pinto beans are essential in promoting the energy production in the body. It also aids in the development of the nervous system.
Word of Cautions on Pinto Beans
The pinto beans have an abundant energy source. They are rich in protein, thus making them a great substitute for protein. However, even with all of the mentioned health benefits of pinto beans, there are still some precautions about it that you must be well aware of.
- For some practical reasons, people choose the canned pinto beans, rather than the fresh. Here, you must be careful because the canned ones may contain higher sodium content than the fresh ones.
- The pinto beans may have purines. Hence, if you are sensitive to this particular compound, avoid consuming it.
- Avoid consuming this type of beans if you are currently suffering from kidney stones.