Have you ever heard of or seen rye flour? I’m talking about the flour derived from the long-consumed, heart-healthy grain. Not only is this particular kind of flour a good addition to various dishes, it is also a powerhouse of nutrients. If you want to learn all about this and more, give this article a read. You’re sure to learn a lot!
What is Rye Flour?
Rye is a rich, hearty grain which has been consumed for many centuries. You may find it in wheat-products and cereals at your local grocery store. Its nutritional content differs from that of oat, barley and wheat. It may pack more of a punch, especially its darker variety, which is a powerhouse of nutrients. Rye berries, or seeds, are also useful for cooking.
You might ask, is rye bread healthy? As a matter of fact, it is one of the healthiest grains in the world. There are lots and lots of health benefits of rye flour, including its ability to fight= high blood pressure, inflammation, cancer, weight gain, cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
Is it gluten-free? No. Rye is actually one of the three grains that contain gluten. It contains a certain protein called secalins, a form of gluten, but it does contain less gluten than barley or wheat flour. Furthermore, rye also has more free sugars in it, meaning it may ferment faster, too.
Rye flour tends to be more nutritious than barley and wheat. It’s endosperm, the outer hull of the kernel, holds powerful starches, nutrients and fiber. It’s hard to separate the bran and germ from the endosperm through milling, thus carrying more essential nutrients into the rye flour.
Nutritional Facts of Rye Flour
Rye flour is oozing with essential nutrients, especially iron, zinc, magnesium and phosphorus. As a matter of fact, one serving of dark rye flour (one cup, or 128 grams) contains the following essential nutrients:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Vitamin B6||0.6 milligrams||28%|
|Vitamin E||3.5 milligrams||11.7%|
|Vitamin K||7.6 micrograms||9%|
Health Benefits of Rye Flour
Here are some of the most surprising health benefits of rye flour:
- Possesses anticancer properties. Whole grain rye flour has many cancer-fighting properties, such as high levels of insoluble and soluble fiber, protease inhibitors, resistant starch, phytic acid, saponins and polyphenols. All of these are beneficial in preventing the spread of cancer cells. This is one of its best health benefits.
- Helps reduce the risk of gallstones. There is a high amount of insoluble fiber in rye flour. This is beneficial in reducing the risk of gallstones, as it speeds up digestion and reduces the level of bile acids in the stomach, which may lead to gallstone formation.
- Helps regulate genes. Studies show that replacing an oat-wheat-potato diet with rye-based products may actually help regulate genes, thus preventing the possible onset of health conditions like diabetes.
- Helps alleviate inflammation. Studies suggest that consuming rye products helps reduce inflammation, which can further reduce the risk of diabetes and other conditions.
- Helps control the appetite. Not only does rye flour help you eat less during meals, it also helps you feel full longer. This is beneficial if you want to lose weight effectively.
- Helps control glucose levels. Rye flour helps regulate and improve blood glucose levels. It may also help manage and lower the risk of diabetes.
Precautions for Rye Flour
The quantity of gluten in rye flour products is much lower than that of wheat flour products. Nevertheless, it is still there. If you have a gluten allergy or are simply avoiding gluten, you should avoid consuming rye flour products.