Wheat is one of the most common cereals available in markets all over the world. It has also been in higher demand in recent years. Why? Because its health benefits are so abundant! Keep reading this article to learn more about how amazing wheat is.
What is Wheat?
Table of Contents
As stated earlier, wheat is one of the most, if not the most, common cereal available on earth. It is also one of the most widely consumed cereal grains. Wheat mainly comes from Triticum, a type of grass that grows in a number of varieties all over the world. Over the years, wheat has shown to be one of the most sustainable and most successful cereal crops in the whole wide world. It is believed to have originated in Southwestern Asia. However, today, it is grown in numerous countries all over the world.
Usually, wheat is cultivated in higher latitudes. It is mainly used for baking foods like cakes, bagels, crackers, pasta, bread and muffins. Wheat is also thought to be one of the healthiest food, ensuring a diet that is rich in nutrients.
Research has proven that wheat is very beneficial for healthy living. It considerably reduces the risk of heart diseases, owing to its reasonably low-fat content. Furthermore, it also normalizes blood sugar levels in those who are diabetic.
Wheat, particular through its grain kernel, is an enormous source of energy. The nutrients found in the endosperm, germ and bran are retained even after processing it into flour. However, if you want to get the complete range of benefits, you may want to choose products derived from whole wheat flour rather than refined wheat products.
Varieties of Wheat
The health benefits you get from wheat depend on the type of wheat you consume. Although whole wheat is astoundingly nutritious, these benefits may be reduced after it has been bleached. Even white flour, which only processes 60% of the grain extraction, will give you fewer benefits.
The fiber, iron, zinc, copper, folic acid, phosphorus, calcium, vitamin E, vitamin B3, vitamin B2 and vitamin B1 in the wheat may vanish during the refining process. However, if you buy 100% whole wheat products, you may be assured of all the nutrients normally found in the germ, bran and endosperm.
Just like with whole wheat, wheat germ is rich in nutrients. It has an ample amount of vitamins and minerals, particularly vitamin E. Wheat germ is a key source of vitamin B complex in diets throughout the world, offering vitamins like vitamin B6, folic acid and thiamine. It also has minerals like zinc, magnesium, manganese and more. Furthermore, the oil in the wheat germ may help improve your strength and increase your lifespan.
Nutritional Value of Wheat
Wheat has an ample amount of magnesium, calcium, mineral salts and catalytic elements. It also has vitamin E, vitamin B, copper, iodine, zinc, manganese, silicon, arsenic, chlorine, sulfur and potassium. This treasure trove of nutrients is the reason it is used as a foundation of nourishment. These elements can be used to treat a number of conditions, including tuberculosis, asthenia, obesity, chronic inflammation, breast cancer, gallstones, anemia and more.
Health Benefits of Wheat
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of wheat:
- Helps prevent heart attacks: whole grain products, including wheat, help considerably reduce blood pressure levels, thus reducing probability of having a heart attack.
- Helps prevent breast cancer: foods like fruits and wheat are significant in protecting women against breast cancer. In fact, studies show that consuming about 30 grams of wheat every day may help reduce the risk of breast cancer.
- Prevents gallstones: studies show that wheat-based cereals and bread help prevent gallstones from forming.
- Reduces chronic inflammation: the betaine content of wheat helps reduce chronic inflammation.
- Helps prevent type 2 diabetes: wheat is rich in magnesium, which helps prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes.
- Improves metabolism: the trans fat and the saturated fat in the wheat help reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Helps control obesity: wheat is capable of controlling weight, but this is really only applicable to women.
It is true, wheat is not only a good ingredient in cooking, its health benefits are also a manifestation of its powers!