The connection between testosterone and various health conditions has not been fully understood. But it is still considered to be one of the most interesting discoveries when it comes to men’s health. Some say that low testosterone is connected to depression; and the same goes with the depression, which is also connected with low testosterone. Hence, getting either of the two, will most likely cause the other one to follow eventually. The condition of having low testosterone is one of the problems men are facing right now. Thus having enough knowledge about the condition is significant. Furthermore, the treatments for low testosterone are also necessary. If you wan to know these and more, feel free to read on to this article.
What is Testosterone?
Testosterone is the sex hormone of male and it is accountable for the progress of various characteristics in men that we often consider “masculine”. As we know, hormones are the chemical messengers, which trigger the significant changes in our body. Actually, females also produce this kind of hormone, but in lesser amounts.
Testosterone is a kind of androgen that is primarily generated or made by the testicles in the cells known as the Leydig cells. Furthermore, testosterone is beneficial in encouraging the muscle development and the fat loss. This is what makes men look more lean and muscular. Similarly, testosterone helps in increasing the sex drive. It intensifies the aggression and improves the energy levels. All of these things may help men in thriving.
How does Low Testosterone happen?
The low testosterone is somewhat associated with various health conditions and may even cause some negative impact on the psychological health. The condition of having a low testosterone is something that is rampant among men today. Having low testosterone or Low T may cause some emotional and physical symptoms, including testosterone. Hence, if you happen to experience some depressive symptoms this is maybe because of the low testosterone level in the body.
Maybe you are to ask, how did this happen? Well low testosterone or what they call hypogonadism is a condition that takes place in the testicles –the organs that produce it. Those who have Primary hypogonadism may get it by:
- Having a higher iron level in the blood than the normal level.
- Various cancer treatments
On the other hand, the secondary hypogonadism takes place when the pituitary gland is not able to receive the signals in producing more testosterone. This may be caused by the following:
- The use of opioid medications
- Acute Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- Normal aging
Symptoms of Low Testosterone
Low testosterone may lead to various changes in the emotional and physical life. That being said, the biggest of these difference might be the sexual function and desire. Furthermore, it is usual for those who have low testosterone to experience a substantial drop in the drive while having sex. You may find it hard to achieve erections as well as maintaining it or worse, you may experience infertility.
Another symptom of low testosterone is the lose of muscle mass and bone, as well as gaining weight. All of these changes may put you at a greater risk for some conditions like osteoporosis, diabetes, and heart diseases. The symptoms and the illness are quite common to all ages of men, however, it is more common to older adults.
Treatments for Low Testosterone
Here are some of the most beneficial tips and treatments for low testosterone:
- Saturated fat –consuming tis on the diet is very important. This is because it is beneficial in increasing the levels of HDL or good cholesterol in the body. This is what the body needs in producing testosterone as well as some other sex hormones.
- Vitamin D –this is a very important vitamin for the production of testosterone. In fact, vitamin D is a hormone, which is responsible for the body’s regulation of numerous hormonal processes.
- Protein –eating protein means you are eating the stuff your body needs in making muscle. Hence, it helps in producing more testosterone hormones.
- Avoid plastic –this may sound random but this is actually true since there are various products that have Xenoestrogens are the substances that act like estrogen in our body. This causes the body to reduce its testosterone levels. To be able to avoid this harmful substance, avoid eating foods with plastic containers, as well as hair shampoos and various toothpaste.
- Magnesium and zinc –lots of these essential nutrients may help in supporting the healthy production of testosterone and prevent it from converting into zinc.
- Exercise –when you exercise, make sure to use various compound movements like bench press, push ups, as well as squats. This is very beneficial in increasing the levels of testosterone in the body.
- Sleep –the more you sleep, the more you increase the levels of your testosterone. Try setting a high priority to sleeping by going to your bed on time and making sure that you’re your room is at the right temperature and is dark. Moreover, you must also avoid caffeine before you sleep.