In this article, we are going to discuss the possible health benefits of celery seed. Can it be really beneficial for the overall health? Give this article a read to know more. You will learn a lot from this article, so sit back, relax, and enjoy!
Celery Seeds: What are They?
Table of Contents
Celery seed is also known as apium graveolens, a plant that is part of the Apiaceae plant family. It is commonly used as a vegetable.
The origins of celery seed can best be traced back to the North African and Mediterranean areas. In this day and age, celery seed is an integral part of Australian, Japanese, Irish, and American cuisines. The plant is perfect for salads and soups, plus as a garnish for various dishes. In spite of its high water content, the celery seed still possesses a lot of health benefits.
As a matter of fact, celery seed has been valued as a medicine for thousands and thousands of years in various parts of the world. However, it is not that popular in the western section of the world. In Indian Ayurvedic medicine, they use elery seed to treat the flu, rheumatoid arthritis, poor digestion, water retention and colds.
Furthermore, celery seed is also a very flavorful and powerful spice that you may put in your salad. Not only that, you may also add it to curries and soups. The seed actually goes beyond its own culinary use as it has a lot of health benefits, even being used as an alternative medicine for those who suffer from gout and various other diseases such as hypertension, high cholesterol and rheumatoid arthritis.
Just like all medicinal plants, the celery seed oils are mostly concentrated on the seed. This is what provides us with a strong medicinal effect, but celery seed has several substances that work together in order to fight various common conditions, including gout.
Celery Seeds: How to Use It?
Celery seed may be taken naturally as dried seeds or even in its fresh form. However, it is not suggested that you eat the seed itself because it tastes bitter and can be hard to swallow. Celery seed is also available as tablets, with the suggested dosage at 500 milligrams, or as capsules filled with celery seed oil or extracts.
Celery Seeds: Health Benefits
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of celery seeds:
- Oozing with fiber. Celery seeds are an amazing source of fiber, containing about 12 grams of fiber for every 100 grams. Fiber, as we know, is a great digestive aid, so if you consume celery seeds, you ‘re actually giving your gut more and more of what it really needs to do its own job.
- Rich in minerals. Celery seed is an astounding source of various daily minerals. This includes manganese, which is beneficial in the body’s immune, digestive, reproductive and neural systems.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties. Sedanolide is the main chemical compound in celery seed. This may be beneficial as a natural herbal remedy to reduce various uncomfortable health situations. This particular natural method is actually beneficial in easing joints and discomfort in muscles.
- Helps curb the chances of various serious conditions. Celery seed is beneficial in fighting high blood pressure. This is due to the high level of potassium in celery seeds. In fact, for every 100 grams of celery seed, there are 1400 milligrams of potassium in it.
- Helps treat gout. Celery seed might be beneficial in reducing the symptoms of gout. This is because it has the capacity to lower blood pressure. Not only that, it is also beneficial in protecting the liver and lowering cholesterol levels.
Celery Seeds: The Risks
If you are allergic to celery seeds, it may be very dangerous for you to take it, possibly fatal. Pregnant women should not take it either, as it may stimulate the uterus and increase the chances of premature birth or even miscarriage. In order to avoid any side effects with other medications, you should consult your doctor first before using celery seeds.
There is no doubt that celery seeds are really amazing. Its effectiveness in treating various conditions and improving your overall health is astounding. So, if you want to improve your health, go try to add this to your diet!