Edema is commonly known as the swelling, which occurs in the body after a certain injury or inflammation. This usually happens as a result of a build-up of extra fluid in the tissues, which may affect various parts of the body. This condition is often an after effect of pregnancy, medications, as well as immobility for a long period of time. It is right and just that we know more about this condition, what causes it, the types of it, and of course, the treatments for edema is important as well. If you want to know all of it and more, give this article a read.
Edema: What is this?
As stated earlier, the condition called edema is the swelling of a particular part of the body. This is mainly because of the fluid accumulation in the tissues. Edematous is the term that describes the body part that is affected by edema. The condition is very common to happen in the hands and legs. In this particular case, the condition is called as the peripheral edema. Furthermore, edema is also a frequent result of various medical complications and diseases.
Edema: What causes it?
Usually, edema occurs as a result of a certain injury to the body like fracture or infection. Moreover, the bee sting may also result in edema. Some other factors that may result in the occurrence of edema are the following:
- Pregnancy: the condition is quite common to pregnant women. This usually occurs in the legs during the period of pregnancy.
- Head injury: whatever injury it is, it may result to a blockage on the drainage of the cerebral fluid –causing the occurrence of edema.
- Medical conditions: the condition may be a result of a certain chronic condition like liver and heart diseases. Both of these conditions may slow down or obstruct the proper flow of the body fluids –causing edema.
- Blood clot: having a blood clot on any part of the body may also lead to edema. This is the same as when a certain condition obstructs the fluid flow in the body.
- Allergy: the condition may Also be an allergen’s allergic reaction. This is mainly because the blood vessels outflow fluid in the affected area to get rid of any possible infection.
- Hypoalbuminemia: this is an illness that may cause the occurrence of edema. this condition is actually the deficiency of the protein, albumin in the body.
Here are the various types of edema:
- Macular edema: the appearance of fluid obstruction in the eyes’ macula is also known as the macular edema.
- Cerebral edema: this commonly occurs when there’s an impediment in the fluid flow in the brain. Furthermore, it is also a chronic condition and an immediate check-up is a must.
- Pulmonary edema: a fluid retention occurs in the lungs in this particular type of edema. Moreover, this is a critical condition, which is often because of some other medical conditions like lung injury and heart failure.
- Peripheral edema: as stated earlier, this type of edema is often characterized by the swelling of the legs or hands.
Edema: Signs and Symptoms
Here are some of the most common signs and symptoms of edema:
- Vision abnormalities
- Abdominal pain
- High blood pressure
- The hand and neck veins become fuller
- Joint stiffness
- Pain in the body
- Puffiness in the edema area
- Appearance of dimples on the skin when pressed
- Swollen and stretched skin
Treatments for Edema
Here are some of the most amazing and effective treatments for edema:
Hot or cold compress. Applying a hot compress to the skin makes the blood flow more into the area. Moreover, it also helps in reducing the inflammation and pain of edema.
Vitamins. Vitamins are very important in reducing water retention and inflammation as well. Hence, it is also beneficial in treating edema and tis symptoms.
Turmeric. The curcumin in the turmeric powder of tea is beneficial in getting rid of inflammation and detoxifying the body. Moreover, it also helps in treating swelling and pain.
Massage therapy. This is beneficial in improving the blood circulation and help treat edema as well.
Pineapple juice. This is one of the best treatments for edema. primarily, the juice contains bromelain compound. This compound is rich in antioxidant properties that are beneficial in treating the condition and its symptoms.
Cranberry. This fruit is rich in minerals like potassium and calcium. Furthermore, it also exhibits some diuretic properties.
Olive leaf extract. The bio-active compounds present in this extract have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which is beneficial in reducing inflammation and oxidative stress.
Juniper oil. the detoxifying and diuretic properties of this essential oil are beneficial in reducing the water retention and swelling from edema.
Grape seed extract. The antioxidant properties of the grape seed extract are beneficial in treating the condition.
Green tea. This has a diuretic and stimulating properties, which is beneficial in the metabolism of extra fluids in the body. Hence, help to treat edema faster.