Have you ever heard of the black sapote fruit? If yes, then you probably know its amazing benefits. However, for those who have not heard about it yet, you may read it here. This article will give you more insights into the health benefits of black sapote. Not just that, it will also be supplying you with more facts about the said fruit. If you want to know all of these and more, then what are you waiting for, read on!
What is Black Sapote?
Table of Contents
This fruit is also known as chocolate pudding fruit. This is mainly because of its texture that is quite similar to chocolates. Moreover, black sapote is a kind of tropical fruit that comes from Mexico, originally. A few people know about the health benefits of black sapote. Nonetheless, since the plant is now being cultivated in some other parts of the world, more and more people are becoming more aware of the fruit. Most especially since the fruit contains ample amount of vitamin C.
Furthermore, black sapote is black, as its name implies. Its shape is more of like a tomato –yes, it’s round. The tree may grow to about 8 meters high. Additionally, the fruit actually comes from the same species as the persimmon. When it gets ripe, the black sapote tastes like a chocolate pudding. However, when you eat it unripe, you’ll end up eating an irritating and bitter tasting fruit.
At this time, there are about three cultivars of the black sapote fruit. These are namely, the Philippines cultivars, Florida cultivars, and the Australian cultivars. Furthermore, the plant grows so well in warm subtropical as well as in tropical climate. The tree itself needs a wide space for it to grow.
In growing the black sapote fruit, it is important to have enough knowledge about it. Aside from it needs a large space as stated earlier, it is also important to consider the position of it as well as the type of soil you’ll be using. Black sapote is also resistant to moist soils. Thus, it is not required that you water it frequently. Moreover, black sapote fruits are usually harvested unripe and when their skin color changes from shiny green up to the dull green.
Nutritional Facts of Black Sapote
Here is the nutritional value that is present in 1 piece of black sapote:
|Ascorbic acid||27 milligrams|
|Vitamin A||1.5 milligrams|
|Dietary fiber||4.65 grams|
|Total fat||0.15 grams|
How to Consume a Black Sapote Fruit?
There are some ways in consuming black sapote. Thus, it is undeniable that we can easily acquire all of the health benefits of black sapote. These ways, are as follows:
- Dessert: this is the most common way to consume black sapote. There are various dessert recipes that have black sapote in it. Just like smoothie, mousse, or pudding.
- Juice: black sapote can be mixed with juice to add more flavor to
- Ice cream: you can also use black sapote as an ice cream. Thus, making it a fun way to enjoying the goodness of the fruit.
- Direct consumption: this is the easiest and the fastest way to consuming black sapote. You’ll love it for sure, because of its taste that is like a chocolate pudding. However, make sure to not eat it when it’s unripe because it will just taste bitter.
Side Effects of Black Sapote
Here are some of the side effects of black sapote:
- Increase in the sugar level: black sapote is sweet and is a complex carb. Thus, there’s a possibility that it may increase the sugar levels in the blood.
- Interfere with medicines: there can be an effect when you consume black sapote while having a medication. In fact, it can reduce the effectiveness of the medicine.
- Allergic: black sapote may lead to allergy when not carefully consumed. Moreover, it may also cause nausea, rashes, as well as itchiness on the skin.
Health Benefits of Black Sapote
Here are the most staggering health benefits of black sapote:
- Helps treat kidney conditions: the fruit is beneficial in treating various kidney problems. Moreover, it contains potassium, which is essential for the stimulation of the kidney functions.
- Helps control the blood pressure: black sapote is beneficial in maintaining the blood pressure. Furthermore, it also helps in reducing the high blood pressure as well as hypertension.
- Helps in maintaining a healthy heart: the nutrients like potassium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin C, and vitamin K in black sapote are beneficial in maintaining the heart health.
- Helps in preventing cancer: the antioxidant properties of the fruit is beneficial in removing the free radicals in the body. Thus averting the possibility of cancer onset.
- Helps in boosting the immunity: the fruit is beneficial in boosting the immunity. Moreover, the vitamin C content of it is also beneficial in getting rid of different bacteria and infections.
Undeniably, the black sapote fruit is one of a kind, and its amazing health benefits are the proof of it.