Do you know what collard greens are? Have you heard of them or tried tasting them? If you answered yes, then good for you! You must have experienced all the amazing health benefits of collard greens. If you want to know more, give this article a read!
Collard Greens: What are They?
Collard greens. which includes various green vegetables such as cabbage and broccoli, are actually a green vegetable that belongs to the Acephala group. Usually, it is found in Brazil, Portugal and various parts of the United States. Collard greens are commonly grown for their dark-colored, huge, green edible leaves. It is also popular as couve in Portugal and Brazil.
The taste of the collard green leaves is slightly bitter. While the leaves are available all year long, they taste much better during the winter. In order to obtain the best texture from collard greens, they must be plucked before reaching their optimal height. They can be mixed with old ones and cooked in various ways.
Collard greens are an important and traditional side dish in the South. Not only that, this particular vegetable supplies good amounts of protein, iron, calcium and fiber, as well as other key minerals and vitamins. Cooked collard greens should not be dull and limp and, if prepared correctly, they may be both tasty and nutritious.
There are some historians who refer to collard greens as the dinosaur of vegetables. The difference is, of course, that these are very much alive. There are records that show that the Romans and Greeks cultivated various species of collard greens, and, as mentioned above, they are a staple in the diet of those in the South. In fact, it is the official state vegetable in South Carolina. There are even some festivals in Savannah and Atlanta that celebrate this particular vegetable.
Nutritional Value of Collard Greens
Collard greens are actually considered to be one of the healthiest foods, comprised of a lot of vitamins, including vitamins C, A, K and E, as well as a different type of vitamin B complex. It also has dietary fibers, sugars, carbohydrates, soluble fibers and a number of minerals including sodium, potassium, phosphorus, iron, manganese, calcium, magnesium and zinc.
1 serving of collard greens may contain the following:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||0.61 grams||2%|
|Dietary Fiber||4 grams||10%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.267 milligrams||5%|
|Vitamin A||5019 IU||170%|
|Vitamin E||2.26 milligrams||15%|
|Vitamin C||35.3 milligrams||59%|
|Vitamin K||437.1 µg||37%|
Health Benefits of Collard Greens
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of collard greens:
- Calming: collard greens help revitalize tsore muscles. They are also popular in improving the mood and helps hose who have difficulty sleeping.
- Diabetes: the dietary fiber content of the collard greens is essential in maintaining a well-balanced level of blood sugar, which in turn may help manage and averting this condition.
- Anti-ageing: since the collard greens are rich in vitamins and antioxidants, which create a barrier in the body and free radicals, it prevents the possible early onset ageing.
- Hair growth: the vitamin E in collard greens, together with the iron and protein, is essential for growing shiny and thick hair. In fact, the protein in it is beneficial in building shafts of hair and helping reduce any damage by strengthening hair.
- Cholesterol: collard greens are beneficial in protecting the body against contracting heart illnesses. We know that excessive cholesterol frequently causes various heart conditions. When cholesterol builds up in the arteries it causes blood pressure problems.
- Prevent anemia: collard greens are actually a good source of iron. In fact, there is about 0.5 milligrams of iron every 100 grams. Furthermore, the folate present in it improves the body’s iron absorbtion and helps build more red blood cells.
- Cancer prevention: the vitamin c in the collard greens has its own antioxidant properties, which help fight oxidative damage. Adding it to your diet will help break down food in some biologically active compounds, which inhibits the growth of cancer cells. This is one of the best health benefits of collard greens.