All fruits are unique in terms of their appearance, nutrients, health benefits and more. One thing is for sure, though: they’re all good for your health! There’s one fruit in particular that has a unique appearance, and that’s the star fruit. Shaped like a star, this fruit offers a variety of health benefits and nutrients. This article will tell you all you need to know about it, so keep reading to learn more.
What is Star Fruit?
Star fruit is a rare fruit that is rich in nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Recently gaining global popularity, star fruit actually comes from a tree that is scientifically known as Averrhoa carambola. It ranges in length from 306 inches and has a yellow or greenish flesh.
The fruit is crisp and tastes tart, and it often has 4-5 seeds in the midde. These seeds are safe to eat, so don’t worry about them. When you cut the fruit, the slices become the shape of a star, hence its name. The entire fruit is edible, including its waxy skin. The tree is rampant in Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean.
When ripe, the fruit becomes slightly brown or light yellow, but it’s important to know that you must avoid eating smaller or green star fruits, as these tend to be sour and generally unpleasant to eat. Normally, the fruit tastes sweet and sour, like a combination of lemons, plums and pineapples. Star fruit is great in smoothies, salads and juices.
Nutritional Facts of Star Fruit
Star fruit is very rich in nutrients like fiber and vitamin C. If you want to be healthy, choose star fruit! Now let’s look at its nutritional values.
100 grams of star fruit may have:
|Nutrients||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Dietary fiber||2.8 grams||11%|
|Total carbohydrates||7 grams||2%|
|Total fat||0.3 grams||0%|
|Vitamin D 0%||Magnesium 2%||Vitamin B6 0%|
|Vitamin C 57%||Calcium 0%||Vitamin A 1%|
*Note: The % Daily Value here are based on a 2000-calorie diet. This can be lower or higher, depending on your needs.
Health Benefits of Star Fruit
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of star fruit:
- Helps improve respiratory health: the anti-inflammatory and cooling agent of the fruit is beneficial in promoting salivation as well as cutting through phlegm and mucus. This makes the fruit a sought-after medicine for respiratory illnesses as well as for the general health.
- Helps detoxify the body: since star fruit is a diuretic, it is useful for the stimulation of urination. This can be beneficial for those who are looking for a detox.
- Helps reduce cholesterol levels: the low amount of natural fat, as well as the high level of dietary fiber in star fruit, is beneficial in managing and reducing cholesterol levels.
- Helps improve the metabolism: riboflavin, folate and pyridoxine, all of which are high in star fruit, optimize the metabolism by ensuring that the important hormonal and enzymatic processes that take place all over the body are carried out efficiently.
- Helps control diabetes: the insoluble fiber in star fruit is beneficial in preventing the release of glucose after eating. It can also control insulin levels, making it ideal for averting diabetes.
- Helps prevent cancer: this is probably one of the best health benefits of star fruit. This is all thanks to its dense fiber and antioxidant properties. Furthermore, the polyphenolic acid in it counters the effects of free radicals in the body.
So, if you enjoy (or can get past) its sour taste, try star fruit! Its health benefits are all enticing and amazing!