Have you ever tasted Sapota? Or have you seen one, at least? If your answer is yes, then you are lucky. However, if your answer is no, you are still lucky. Because in this article you will be able to know more about this fruit. Well, as an insight, Sapota is actually a tropical fruit, which has multiple names, just like sapodilla, lamoot, sapote, chico, and more. The name it has is numerous, but that’s a bit few compared to the health benefits of Sapota . In fact, it has lots and lots of it, well, some of which are enlisted below. So read on to this article to know more about Sapota.
What is Sapota?
Table of Contents
Originally, Sapota is from various rainforests in the Central America or most specifically in Belize and in Mexico. Sapota is of oval or round shape and measures about 10cm in diameter & may weigh about 150 grams. Moreover, it also has 2 to 5 black seeds at the center. The immature fruit actually has a white pulp and hard exterior because of its high levels of latex.
Furthermore, these latex content lowers as soon as the fruit gets ripe, and the flesh of it obtains a brown tint or color. It also has a grainy and smooth texture and a musky and sweet flavor. Moreover, it is also oozing with calories and the sweet taste of it may be because of the existence of simple sugars in it. Just like sucrose and fructose, which help in replenishing the energy and revitalizing the body.
The Sapota tree is actually fast growing. It is also resistant to drought and wind and may flourish well even in dry conditions. Botanically, every Sapota fruit is a berry. When it is still unripe, it may produce a sticky white latex that has the substance, saponins. But once it gets ripe, this disappears.
Uses of Sapota
Aside from being a good treat, here are some other uses of Sapota:
- Sapota can be beneficial as a treatment for various illnesses. In fact, it is essential in treating inflammation. It also helps the digestive system and protects the body against conditions like irritable bowels, enteritis, gas, etc.
- You may eat the fruit when it is already ripe.
- You may also make a fruit shake out of it for a refreshment.
- Pregnant women may benefit from this fruit as it helps in producing more milk, especially to lactating mothers.
- This fruit is essential in treating internal injuries in the body.
Nutritional Facts of Sapota
100 grams of 1 serving of Sapota may contain the following:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||1.10 grams||3.5%|
|Dietary Fiber||5.3 grams||14%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.252 milligrams||5%|
|Vitamin A||60 IU||2%|
|Vitamin C||14.7 milligrams||24.5%|
Health Benefits of Sapota
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of Sapota:
- Acts as a cleansing agent: the fruit may act as a diuretic and therefore, making it beneficial in removing the waste matters in the body by means of frequent urination. Moreover, it also averts water retention or edemas through the maintenance of water concentration in the body.
- Helps in losing weight: indirectly, the Sapota fruit is beneficial in losing weight. Moreover, it also helps in preventing obesity through the regulation of the secretion of gastric enzymes.
- Essential for the mental health: since it is a potent sedative, it is essential for calming the nerves and alleviating stress. Therefore, it is advisable for those who suffer from insomnia, anxiety, and depression.
- Gives relief from constipation: the dietary fiber in the Sapota fruit is essential in excellently bulking up the stool. Furthermore, it is also beneficial in providing additional relief to constipation.
- Healthy bones: the large amount of calcium, iron, and phosphorus in the Sapota fruit are essential for the bones to be able to upsurge their own endurance. Moreover, since it is rich in iron, phosphorus, and calcium, it is also beneficial in improving and making the bones stronger.
- Prevents various types of cancer: the vitamin B and A content of Sapota is essential in maintaining the health of the body’s mucus lining, as well as the skin texture. Moreover, the antioxidant properties in it are beneficial in preventing cancer as well. This is what makes this particular advantage one of the best health benefits of Sapota.
- Beneficial for the eye health: the huge amount of vitamin A in the Sapota fruit is beneficial in improving the vision even during the old age. So if you want to have clearer and healthier vision, eat Sapota!