The sea, as we know is full of mystery, full of hidden mysteries, and full of treasures. There are lots and lots of seafood that can make you crave. One of which is clams. Did you know that there are about 150 species of edible clams in the whole wide world? Yes, pal! And when you cook some of them, the flavor of it will put you in the cloud nine. Well, clams are not just delicious. There are more to it than meets the eye. The health benefits of clams are also wide-ranging. In fact, the health benefits of clams are all good for the betterment of the overall health. If you want to know more about this amazing seafood, feel free to read on to this article.
What are Clams?
Table of Contents
Clam is actually a common term that is used to define several types of bivalve mollusks. The term is usually applied for those who live as infauna, which spends most of their lives partly buried in the ocean floor. Particularly, the edible infaunal bivalves are usually what we call the clams. Clams, as we know, have two equal-sized shells that are linked by two striated muscles and have great delving foot. Furthermore, clams in the culinary field do not live as if they’re attached to a substrate. Also, they do not live nearing the bottom.
Furthermore, clams are a popular type of mollusks due to their chewy texture and their salty taste. However, clams are also dense in nutrients. In fact, they contain a lot of vitamins and minerals. Moreover, clams are also good sources of lean protein choice due to their low-fat content. But it has lots and lots of iron and protein as well.
There are lots of types of clams that are available all over the world. However, most of those that we consume are those that are hollow out in sandy water areas. Clams don’t have brains, but there are some that can dig for about an inch every second.
The fresh clams must be alive upon purchase and must have a fresh smell of the mild ocean. The shells must be firmly closed or it closes up when you tap it. The open shells is actually an indication that the clam has died already. Upon cooking, clams open up a bit, signifying that it is already dead.
Types of Clams
Here are some of the types of clams and where they can be harvested:
- Razor Clam: Atlantic and Pacific Coast
- Littleneck Clam: Pacific Coast
- Geoduck Clams: Pacific Coast
- Butter Clams: Pacific Coast
- Manila Clams: Pacific Coast
- Mahogany Clams or Ocean Quahogs: Ocean Waters, Gulf, and Atlantic Coast
- Steamers or Softshell Clams: Near the shoes of Coastal Waters, Gulf, and Atlantic Coast
- Quahogs or Hardshell Clams: Near the shoes of Coastal Waters, Gulf, and Atlantic Coast
- Surf Clam: Ocean Waters, Gulf, and Atlantic Coast
Nutritional Facts of Clams
In one cup of clams (227 grams), there are:
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.6 grams|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.2 grams|
|Saturated Fat||0.2 grams|
|Total Fat||2.2 grams|
|Total Calories||703 KJ|
|Total Carbohydrates||5.5 grams|
|Vitamin B12||112 micrograms|
|Vitamin D||9.1 IU|
|Vitamin C||29.5 micrograms|
|Vitamin K||0.5 micrograms|
|Vitamin B6||0.1 milligrams|
|Vitamin E||0.7 milligrams|
|Vitamin A||204 micrograms|
Nutrition and Health Benefits of Clams
Here are some of the health benefits of clams:
- The fair amount of cholesterol in clams are beneficial in maintaining a healthy blood cholesterol in the body.
- Vitamin A content of clams are necessary for the body’s maintenance of healthy skin and it is also beneficial for the promotion of vision, growth, as well as the bone development.
- Rich potassium content of clams is good for the body’s maintenance of blood pressure and heart function regulation. This is along with some other body processes.
- High levels of iron in clams are much higher than in beef. Thus, making it essential for those who have a deficiency in iron.
- Protein levels of clams are way higher than red meat, thus it is beneficial in building a much leaner body mass, especially to athletes.
- Calms serves are a good source of phosphorus for the overall body. therefore, it is good for the formation of bones as well as the teeth. Additionally, it also helps in utilizing vitamins in the body.
- Clams are essential for the heart health. This is since they are low in fat content and high in omega-3 fatty acids. This is one of the best health benefits of clams.
Truly, not just these clams are delicious, they are also oozing with so many health benefits.