If you thyroid gland suddenly gets big, you should consult your physician immediately. You might be experiencing a symptom of goiter, which normally occurs in the neck and can cause discomfort in breathing and swallowing. The good news is there are natural remedies for goiter, some of which you can find at home.
Goiter is often caused by either hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism. Put simply, any fluctuation in normal amounts of thyroid hormone can cause the condition. It’s not necessarily painful, but it can cause other ailments that throw your body’s normal operations off balance.
What Causes Goiter?
The most common cause of goiter is a lack of iodine in the body. Iodine is essential for the formation of the thyroid hormone, and the less you have in your diet, the less hormones your thyroid will produce. This causes the thyroid gland to become inflamed. Other causes may include:
-Cancer patient’s radiation therapy
-Autoimmune diseases like Graves’ and Hashimoto disease, where the immune system attacks the production of the thyroid hormone.
Symptoms of Goiter
Anyone can get goiter, but women aged 50+ are particularly susceptible. Noticeable symptoms include:
-Unexpected wight change
-Sudden swelling of the neck
-Pain and discomfort while swallowing food
-Constricted feeling in the throat
-Excessive coughing without any reason
Bear in mind that many of the above-mentioned symptoms are also associated with other health conditions, so be sure to consult with your doctor for scientific confirmation.
Natural Remedies for Goiter
If you’re diagnosed with goiter, you don’t have to immediately resort to surgery or drugs. There are several natural remedies for the condition which can help reduce the size of the thyroid gland and relieve other symptoms. Natural remedies include:
1) Watercress – this iodine-rich herb has sulfur, vitamin B17, germanium and antioxidants.
2) Dandelion Leaves – these are proven to reduce the swelling.
3) Flaxseed Paste – this is rich in vitamins and minerals which help the body heal. It also reduces inflammation and swelling.
4) Garlic – garlic practically reduces swelling and boosts glutathione production. Glutathione helps maintain the health of the thyroid gland.
5) Sorrel Leaves – often called spinach dock, these contain plenty of minerals, including iodine, which helps treat and prevent goiter.
6) Iodine-rich foods – adding these to the diet helps prevent goiter, but be sure to follow a recommended dosage.
7) Kanchanara – this is a traditional type of herb that you can use to regulate the rate at which the thyroid gland produces its hormones.
8) Selenium-rich foods – aside from iodine, selenium can keep the thyroid gland healthy and functioning properly.
9) Seaweed or Kelp – these are full of iodine.
10) Green Tea – the stimulating and energy boosting properties of green tea help enhance the function of the thyroid gland.
11) Lemon Balm Tea – this supports the immune system and helps regulate hormonal levels.
12) Coconut Oil – the lauric acid in coconut oil is beneficial in treating thyroid problems.
Risk Factors for Goiter
The following factors may increase the chances of having goiter:
- Being female
- Having an iodine-deficient diet
- History of thyroid problems
Treatments for Goiter
Here are some tips you can follow to treat goiter:
– Eat salads with coleus leaves to relieve the symptoms and pain associated with goiter.
– Create a paste made with dried oak bark and apply it to your neck overnight.
– Drink one glass of barley water per day to help reduce your symptoms.
– Try a massage, acupuncture or reflexology to get rid of the symptoms.
– Eat crushed, boiled almonds mixed with water cabbage juice to prevent the condition.
– To stimulate your thyroid gland, make sure to take a cold shower 2X a day.
– Apply Bentonite paste to your neck and leave it on until it dries.
– Do some neck exercises that are suitable for treating goiter.
– Consult your doctor if your treatment is not effective.
Goiter really shouldn’t be ignored, because it can get worse. The good news is, with the right prescriptions and a proper diet, you can pretty easily treat it. We’ve suggest a variety of natural, household means of taking car of the condition!