Do you want to lose weight in the span of just a month? There’s a type of grain you can eat to achieve that! You should try horse gram. Are you familiar with it? Horse gram is a lentil with a unique, disk-like shape, and it’s a good source of protein, especially for vegetarians and vegans. Horse gram has been used for ages in folk and alternative medicine to treat kidney conditions, menstrual irregularity, coughs, colds and even obesity. It’s very effective and safe for weight loss. Keep reading to learn more about how it works!
What is Horse Gram?
Scientifically called Macrotyloma uniflorum, horse gram is a low-profile legume that takes its name from its use as a staple food for cattle and horses. You can also call it Kollu. Although its name is odd, there’s no denying that it’s good for your health.
Horse gram is a type of pulse crop, widely cultivated and eaten in India since ancient times. It is also native to the tropical regions of Africa and Southeast Asia. Thanks to its exceptional nutritional profile, general hardiness and drought-resistance, it is a great food source.
Supposedly, horse gram has the richest protein content of any lentils, and it provides a lot of energy. This is why racehorses are often fed it.
Eating a lot of horse gram may actually be beneficial in managing obesity since it has the capacity to attack fatty tissues with its potent phenol content. Moreover, horse gram also generates energy and heats you up, keeping you warm on cold winter days.
If eaten raw, the grain in rich in proteins, flavonoids and polyphenols, which are the main antioxidants. Put simply, it helps keep your body feeling young and your skin looking vibrant.
Why is it a Superfood?
Horse gram may not sound very appetizing or enticing, but its qualities are irrefutably wonderful. In fact, it’s low in sodium and lipid content, and its slow digestible starch is perfect for those who are obese or diabetic. It is also low in fat and high in carbohydrates, calcium and iron. As a matter of fact, horse gram has the highest calcium content among all the pulses. It is also one of the richest sources of protein for those who are vegetarian.
Horse Gram for Weight Loss: How Does it Work?
As we said earlier, horse gram is oozing with vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber and protein. Not only that, it is also low in calories, making it perfect for weight loss.
Here are some reasons why you should consume horse gram for weight loss:
- Easy to digest. The soluble and insoluble fiber in horse gram is easier for the stomach to digest. The fiber in it is actually beneficial in promoting the digestive tract’s peristaltic movement, which helps flush toxins out of the colon. This is also essential in maintaining proper digestive function.
- Keeps the energy levels high. Eating horse gram helps keep energy levels high. The dietary fiber and protein in it are essential in keeping you satiated, and you will tend to feel more energetic and more active.
- Proteins build muscle. There is an ample amount of protein in horse gram. As a matter of fact, a hundred grams of horse gram has approximately 22 grams of protein. The protein is beneficial in rejuvenating and rebuilding the muscles.
- Rich in dietary fiber. Dietary fiber is a complex carbohydrate, essential in losing weight. It works by encapsulating the fat molecules, thus preventing fat absorption.
- Low in calories. If you want to lose some weight, you need to maintain your balance of negative energy. Because horse gram is low in calories, you can eat as much as you want. The large amounts of protein and fiber will also keep you feeling full for longer.