As what some health experts say, ADHD is one of the most common behavioral condition, which commonly starts in the childhood. But on the other hand, this does not affect the children. Moreover, the condition may actually affect people of all ages. In fact, psychiatrists say that ADHD is a neurobehavioral developmental condition or disorder. That being said, it truly is important to know about this condition so well. To know about the causes, the symptoms, and treatments for ADHD is already a big thing. This may give a lot of benefits to those who are suffering from the condition to cope up with it. If you wan to know more about this condition, feel free to read on to this article.
ADHD: What is this condition and what causes it?
ADHD or the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is a behavioral disorder that may often have an effect on the relationship of a particular person to some certain peers. Even though the condition’s exact or particular cause is not yet fully determined and fully understood, some professionals consider it as a deficit of various chemicals in the nervous system. This deficiency may lead to the onset of this particular mental disorder. Leaving it untreated may lead the condition to extend up to adulthood stage. This will then create more serious concerns for both the personal and professional life.
Furthermore, the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder as stated earlier, is one of the most common behavioral conditions of childhood. In fact, studies show that about 8-10 percent of the children fall on the criteria for the condition. Furthermore, more commonly, ADHD appears 2 to 4 times more in boys than in girls.
A certain person that has this particular condition may find it very difficult to focus unto something without having any distractions. He tends to have a great difficulty in controlling the things he is saying or doing. Furthermore, he also has a difficulty in controlling the amount of physical activity that he must exert in a particular condition. It is safe to say that a person with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is much more restless and impulsive.
Some other terms for the condition are as follows:
- Hyperkinetic disorder
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Attention deficit disorder
The main cause of the condition is not yet clear to professionals, however, this tends to run in the families.
Forms of ADHD
Here are the three basic forms of ADHD:
- Predominantly hyperactive-impulsive: the person who has this type of ADHD finds it hard to be still. Furthermore, they tend to be hyperactive and talk a lot. Moreover, those who have this may have more accidents or injuries than any others.
- Predominantly inattentive: the person who has this type of ADHD may find it hard to organize or finish a task. It is hard for them to pay attention to various details. Moreover, they may also find it hard to follow various conversations or instructions.
- Combined: those who have this type of ADHD may have symptoms like those with the first and the second type. In simple words, they have all the symptoms in the first and the second type, which equally stand out.
Symptoms of ADHD
Here are some of the general symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children:
- They find it hard to wait for their own turn in playing, standing in line, or even in a certain conversation.
- They tend to be inattentive.
- Having a difficulty in concentrating for too long on various tasks.
- They tend to continuously interrupt people.
- Do not stop chattering with people.
- They tend to be fidgety, overactive, and restless.
- They tend to act before they even think.
- Have trouble in sitting still even just for a small amount of time.
- They have some trouble in paying attention to some certain things.
Though the treatments for ADHD are all comprehensive, there are still some remedies that can be found at home –take note that these can be very effective as well.
Treatments for ADHD
Here are some of the most efficient home remedies and treatments for ADHD:
- Behavior therapy: through this treatment, parents may learn strategies like positive reinforcement. This is to improve the behavior of the child who has this condition. this is actually one of the most efficient treatments for ADHD.
- Amphetamine: this medicine is beneficial in stimulating the central nervous system as well as the sympathetic portion of the peripheral nervous system.
- Water: drinking a lot of water may help in bringing a positive effect on the attitude of those who have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
- Boron: this essential element is beneficial in ensuring the normal functioning of the nervous system as well as the brain.
- Panax ginseng: this Chinese herb helps in boosting the immunity, reduce fatigue and stress, as well as stabilize the body functions.
- Green oats: this helps in soothing the nerves as well as the brain. Moreover, as research shows, this helps effectively in treating the attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.