When it comes to being healthy, one thing that people observe and the judge is how we smell. Since the first impression lasts, it is very important that we leave them the first impression that we have a pleasant smell or odor. However, there are some instances that body odor, suddenly comes in especially after we play some games or do our chores. body odor is the unpleasant odor or smells the body releases when the bacteria that are living on the skin break down the sweat into acid. And this is so embarrassing, isn’t it? This is why it is very important to know what really causes it and more, together of course, with the treatments for body odor.
Table of Contents
So what is body odor by the way?
Body odor is the scent that the body gives off when we sweat. Dome people may find it unpleasant and irritating. Well actually, body odor has always been present to us even when we are still young. However, it becomes more evident once we reach the puberty stage. Those who are obese, those who eat spicy foods constantly, and those who have various medical conditions are more prone to having body odor.
Those people who sweat excessively like those who have hyperhidrosis may also be more susceptible to the condition. However, more often than not, the salt level of the sweat is much higher for the bacteria to break down. It varies depending on where the excess sweating takes place as well as on what type of sweat glands are getting involved.
The sweat itself actually is essentially odorless to us humans. This is in fact the hasty multiplication of the bacteria in the presence of sweat and its breaking down of the sweat various acids, which eventually causes the onset of the unpleasant smell.
The body odor most likely takes place in the following areas of the body:
- Behind the ears
- Belly button
- Pubic hair and some other hair
- Genital areas
- Groin area
The body odor may have an appealing and specific smell. Moreover, it can be used in the identification of a certain person, most especially to animals like the dogs. Every person has a unique odor, which can be influenced by various factors, including medication, health, gender, and diet.
Causes of Body Odor
The body odor is commonly caused by a certain bacteria that break down the sweat and is largely linked to the apocrine glands. This is where more of the body odors come. The apocrine glands are usually found in the ears, armpits, eyelids, as well as the genital areas and the breasts. For an instance, in the breasts, they are able to secrete fat droplets into the breast milk. In the ear on the other hand, they help in forming earwax. The apocrine glands in the eyelids and in the skin furthermore, are functioning as sweat glands.
Most of the apocrine glands that are found in the skin are in the armpits, groin, and around the nipples. They are also called the scent glands since they have scents. Moreover, the apocrine glands are the ones that are responsible for the body odor because they produce sweat that is high in protein, which bacteria can break down easily.
Preventive Measures in Body Odor
As stated earlier, most f the apocrine glands are present in the armpits, thus making the area more prone to the hasty development of body odor. Here are some of the common preventive measures in controlling body odor:
- Antiperspirants or deodorizers: these are beneficial in making the skin more acidic, thus making it harder for the bacteria to buildup and cause body odor.
- Hair: when the armpits have hair, the evaporation of sweat slows down, thus giving the bacteria more time to break down. getting rid of the armpit hair is necessary to control body odor.
- Always keep the armpit clean: regularly wash the armpit using antibacterial soaps. This is beneficial in keeping the number of bacteria low, thus resulting in less body odor.
Treatments for Body Odor
Here are some of the most effective treatments for body odor:
- Deodorant: many of us know that this is the main staple or the main product that many people endorse to get rid or prevent body odor. This is actually one of the most beneficial treatments for body odor. However, this cannot get rid of the condition from its roots.
- Aluminum chloride: this is actually the main ingredient in various antiperspirant products. This is beneficial in getting rid or preventing the condition.
- Avoid spicy foods: eating spicy type of foods makes you more vulnerable to sweating, which may cause body odor. Hence, avoiding the consumption of spicy foods can be very beneficial in preventing the condition.
- Clothing: using clothes that are made from natural fibers allow the skin to breathe freely. This results in a better evaporation of the sweat.
- Wash daily: taking a bath or washing the body with warm water at least once every day is beneficial in getting rid of the bacteria that causes body odor.