Have you heard of the DASH diet before? Well, DASH is actually an acronym for the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. Well, obviously, the aim of the DASH diet is to be able to reduce the sodium consumption, as well as hypertension. Furthermore, it also emphasizes on getting the right amount of nutrients by means of eating an assortment of foods. Not just that, the benefits of DASH diet is way more than meets the eye. Read on to this article to know more.
What is DASH Diet?
Table of Contents
There are some diet plans that promise to deliver a wide array of health benefits. Even though a number of these diet plants are unproven, there is this one diet that has been given a lot of attention, as well as popularity now. This is none other than the DASH diet. As stated earlier, DASH is the acronym for the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. It is a diet plan that aims to decrease the consumption of sodium and lower the blood pressure level.
For all intents and purposes, DASH diet originally was conceived as one way to be capable of decreasing the blood pressure. However, it has been recognized to be beneficial for a wide range of health worries. DASH diet is based on the consumption of a diet, which is high in vegetables and fruits, heart-healthy fats, whole grains, seeds, beans, nuts, and protein.
In the beginning, DASH diet included a lot of starchy foods, which were actually considered as empty carbohydrates. However, the diet has actually been updated since at that moment. Furthermore, it also has proven to have even much better results. Thus replacing those empty carbohydrates with foods that are rich in good fats and protein.
Moreover, DASH diet is rich in fiber foods as well, thus providing the proper balance between minerals, vitamins, and sodium. This is to be capable of improving the levels of high blood pressure in the body. Due to its popularity as a diet plan, maybe there is a need for us to look for reasons as to why it has received a lot of attention.
DASH Diet Plan
The DASH diet plan does not necessarily involve the restraining demands of some other diet plans. To be able to follow the DASH diet plan, you just need to increase your daily intake of fruits and vegetables, as well as dairy products. Furthermore, you must also consume nuts, poultry, fish, and whole grains. Additionally, DASH diet plan also limits the consumption of red meat, fats, and sugar-based drinks.
Here are the important foods that should be on the DASH diet plan:
- Essential Oil
- Seeds and Nuts
Nutritional Value of DASH Diet Plan
The DASH diet plan is very rich in various minerals like potassium, manganese, iron, zinc, and calcium. These nutrients are beneficial in regulating the blood pressure levels.
- Vitamin B12: the DASH diet delivers an adequate amount of vitamin B12. It is important for the proper metabolism of cells.
- Calcium: there are about 1000 to 1300 milligrams of the recommended dietary amount of calcium in the DASH diet.
- Potassium: DASH diet is one of those few diets that are beneficial in meeting the daily amount of potassium.
- Fiber: the diet plan may deliver more than the required amount of fiber. We know that fiber is beneficial in keeping the blood pressure, as well as the blood sugar stable.
- Carbohydrates: the diet is beneficial in meeting the carbohydrates recommended daily value.
- Protein: there is a significant amount of protein in the DASH diet. This is what makes it beneficial to achieving the recommended daily value of the nutrient.
- Fat: the diet is low in cholesterol and saturated fat, thus reducing the risk of heart illnesses.
Benefits of DASH Diet
Here are some of the most staggering benefits of DASH diet plan:
- Helps in preventing depression: studies show that the consumption of whole grains, vegetables, and fruits, just like in the DASH diet may help in preventing the onset of depression.
- Helps in treating diabetes: through the elimination of empty carbohydrates and starchy foods from the diet, may help in the avoidance of simple sugars, which the body may easily absorb and send in the bloodstream.
- Helps in preventing cancer: this is one of the best benefits of DASH diet. The rich levels of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables in the diet mean a higher concentration of antioxidants, vitamins, and fiber. This may help in the prevention of the impact of free radicals.
- Helps improve the kidney health: the DASH diet is beneficial in the prevention of the onset or development of kidney stones. This is due to the diet’s contents of whole grains, vegetables, and fruits.
- Helps in improving the heart health: DASH diet, being high in fiber and has a balanced cholesterol level, is beneficial in cutting down on plaque buildup. Thus lowering the risk of heart illnesses and some other complications.
DASH diet, truly is an astounding diet plan. So, the next time you want to change your diet, choose DASH!