Triticale –have you ever heard, seen, or tried of this before? Well, triticale is actually the result of breeding rye and wheat together. It is commonly used in cereals, as well as in other food sources. This is also oozing with so many essential nutrients. All of which contribute to the different amazing health benefits of triticale. These benefits include its ability to making the bones stronger, reducing various skin illnesses, protect against asthma, increase the blood circulation, manage and prevent diabetes, protect infants, improve the energy levels, increase the healing and metabolic rate, boost the metabolic rate, boost the heart health, as well as improve the digestive efficiency. There is actually more to triticale than meets the eye. Give this article a read and get to learn more about it.
Triticale: What is this?
Table of Contents
The field of food science has been a significant area of science for so many years. One of the most interesting developments in this particular field comes late 19th century. It is when researchers bred rye and wheat together. These are two of the most important grain and cereal staple food in the world. The outcome of breeding –triticale. The outcomes were actually nothing short of remarkable. The key intention was actually just to gain the high quality and yield of wheat with a unique nutritional value of rye and a very high disease tolerance. What they actually found out was that the triticale has much higher levels of minerals and vitamins than either of the 2 contributing species. This is what makes it an ideal nutritional forage food for the livestock.
However, just recently, it has become a famous health food for humans. This is also due to the fact that there is an ample amount of essential nutrients in it. Usually, you can find triticale in health cereals, and may also be available in various forms, either as flour, crackers, flakes, bread, cereals or as whole berries. The triticale is produced after following a series of thorough steps. And because of the complicated process of production, only about 29 countries harvest triticale. Among the leading producers of triticale are Germany, Australia, Poland, and France.
Triticale is not commonly used or grown as part of the commercial crop for the food production, instead, it serves as a provender crop for a lot of animal species all over the world. Various feeding experiments in animals indicate that it’s more consumable, which has an increase in its popularity.
Nutritional Facts of Triticale
This particular hybrid cereal option is more than just a scientific attainment. It actually boasts a much higher content of dietary fiber, minerals, and protein than both wheat and rye. This is what makes it a multipurpose super cereal. Furthermore, triticale is also a rich source of magnesium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, iron, and manganese, among others. As well as various essential vitamins, including the whole B complex vitamins family in huge quantities, as well as vitamin E.
Health Benefits of Triticale
Here are some of the most surprising health benefits of triticale:
- Helps in preventing neural tube defects. The significant levels of folate in the body are essential for pregnant mothers, especially in protecting their child from any neural birth defects. Folic acid deficiency may be prevented by foods like the triticale.
- Helps in relieving asthma. The high levels of manganese in triticale, which is a powerful mineral. As a matter of fact, manganese serves a lot of functions to the health. the high levels of manganese have the capacity to reduce the oxidative stress in the body, including asthma and some skin conditions.
- Helps in boosting bone The triticale is a very impressive source of minerals. A lot of which play a significant role in tissue production. Furthermore, manganese, calcium, phosphorus, and zinc are all essential parts of body strength and bone production.
- Helps in increasing cell There is a high level of protein in the triticale. This just means that the cell production all over the body may increase, the enzymatic and metabolic processes may get optimized, and the general body functions may be more efficient. This is one of the best health benefits of triticale.
- Helps in boosting blood The red blood cells are essential for human health. This is since it delivers oxygen in various parts of the body, including the muscle tissues, skin cells, and important organ systems.
- Helps in improving the digestion. There is a lot of dietary fiber in the triticale, which makes it so powerful, especially in digestion, the dietary fiber helps in bulking up the stools, pass the foods through the digestive area faster, and speed up the excretion and absorption.
Possible Side Effects of Triticale
The triticale, just like the rye and wheat has high levels of gluten. Therefore, those who are suffering from allergies or glucose intolerance like Celiac disease, must avoid the consumption of triticale, as well as try some other non-gluten health cereals, which will not cause any severe allergic reactions and gastrointestinal troubles.