Have you seen or tried sweet marjoram before? If you have, then you may have just acquired all of its astounding health benefits! Nevertheless, if you haven’t seen or tried this herb yet, it’s fine. We are here to tell you why you should give it a try. Aside from oozing with many essential nutrients, it also has antibacterial, antiviral, antiseptic, aphrodisiac, antispasmodic and analgesic properties. Give this article a read and get to know more about it!
What is Sweet Marjoram?
Sweet marjoram, also known as knotted marjoram, is one of the most traditional Mediterranean herbs. Grown for culinary and medicinal uses since ancient times, it has a subtle pungent taste and sweet flavor. It is moderately more gentle than oregano.
Botanically, sweet marjoram is part of the Labiatae family, which is of the genus Origanum. Scientifically, it is called Origanum majorana. The Labiataceae family also includes herbs like cumin, fennel, anise, dill and the likes.
Sweet marjoram is mainly native to Asia Minor or Turkey. Nevertheless, it grows in abundance all over southern parts of Europe and in the Mediterranean. This particular herbaceous plant is actually a small, woody-stemmed shrub, which grows plentifully in lime-rich, well-drained soils. It may reach about 75 centimeters in height, featuring hairy stems and soft. oval-shaped dark-green leaves with small pinkish-white flowers.
Generally, the leaves of sweet marjoram may be harvested right after the flower buds start to show. To blanch it, you may hang the harvested stems in a dark, dry room for approximately 7 to 10 days, then strip the leaves off the stems and then store them inside an airtight container.
Various species of sweet marjoram are grown for therapeutic or culinary purposes. Pot marjoram has pink or white flowers, while winter marjoram has a pungent flavor similar to wild marjoram.
People often describe sweet marjoram to be like oregano, which is in fact wild marjoram. Nevertheless, in spite of these similarities and confusion, marjoram has its own culinary and medicinal uses.
Nutritional Value of Sweet Marjoram
Sweet marjoram is one of the most famous and loved herbs, especially in the Mediterranean region. As a matter of fact, ancient Greeks used it to make garlands and wreaths, believe it to be a symbol of happiness, harmony and peace. The herb is actually made up of lots and lots of notable vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients which are all essential for optimum wellness and health. Furthermore, parts of the herb contain various chemical compounds with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
To know more about the nutritional content of sweet marjoram, refer to the table below:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||7.04 grams||23%|
|Dietary Fiber||40.3 grams||106%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.209 milligrams||4%|
|Vitamin A||8068 IU||269%|
|Vitamin C||51.4 milligrams||86%|
|Vitamin E||1.69 milligrams||11%|
|Vitamin K||621.7 micrograms||518%|
Health Benefits of Sweet Marjoram
Here are some of the most surprising health benefits of sweet marjoram:
- Possesses diuretic properties. The essential oil of sweet marjoram acts as a natural diuretic, meaning it increases both the quantity of urine and how often you will pass the water.
- Helps with respiratory conditions. The essential oil in the marjoram is beneficial in treating various respiratory conditions as well as the symptoms of flu, bronchitis and colds. It also has expectorant properties, which may help loosen mucus and phlegm.
- Has antimicrobial properties. There are amazing antifungal, antiseptic and antibacterial properties in sweet marjoram. These are beneficial in providing therapeutic effects for viruses and bacteria.
- Helps treat gastric ulcers. Studies show thatsweet marjoram is beneficial in reducing the risk of ulcers developing in animals . Not only that, it also helps replenish the mucus on gastric walls.
- Helps relieve pain. The essential oil from sweet marjoram is a great treatment for muscle pain, tension headaches and spasms. This is one of the best health benefits of sweet marjoram.
- Helps relieve anxiety and stress. Sweet marjoram is beneficial in relieving anxiety and stress. A lot of essential oils have the same impact and represent a huge natural alternative to popular prescription treatments.
- Beneficial for heart health. Sweet marjoram is oozing with antioxidants, which may help protect the heart and other organs in the body.