Do you want to lose weight in a natural and healthy way? Why not try cycling for weight loss? A lot of people cycle every day; you can see them in the street, parks and other places. The activity’s growing popularity can be attributed to how good it is for the overall health and how simple it makes moderate exercise. It is also a great mode of daily transportation. Whether you’re young or an adult, cycling will be perfect for you. You can also use it to lose weight, which we will discuss later. Read on to learn more!
What is Cycling?
The concept of cycling was invented by Baron Karl von Drais in the year 1817. What he actually invented was not the same bicycle that we are used to; he developed a walking machine which enabled him to walk faster in the royal gardens. His device had wheels, but it did not have chains, gears or pedals. Through the improvement of technology, his device eventually transformed into a bicycle.
Although there are many health benefits one can get from this exercise, some precautions must be taken. Whether you are cycling as a mode of transportation or as a sport, you should take the following safety measures:
- Stretch. Stretching is very important, as it warms up and prepares the body for exercise.
- Wear a well-fitted outfit. Avoided wearing loose fitting clothes, because they can be restricting and get caught on things, which is particularly dangerous in urban areas with heavy traffic.
- Wear a helmet. This is probably the most important safety measure you will take. It averts a possible head injury if an accident were to happen.
- Have plenty of water on hand. Remember that it important to drink water frequently. This prevents dehydration from physical activity.
- Prepare your ride. It’s important to check if your chains and brakes are in working order and your tires are well-inflated. You can adjust the seat height in order to avoid a painful ride. Give it a test before going out.
- Pay attention to your surrounding. It is very important to look for signals from other road users, traffic lights and other surrounding to avoid accidents.
Why Use Cycling for Weight Loss?
If you want to shed extra fat, pedaling is a fun way to do it! You will find cycling to be a sociable but challenging routine, suitable for any age or fitness level. Cycling really helps with weight loss as it helps burn calories, not only improving your weight but also your overall health!
In today’s day and age, more and more cycling paths are opening for public use, and the exercise is becoming more and more enjoyable and accessible for people. It’s a great way to unwind, get some fresh air and help you lose weight.
How many calories will you burn?
Depending on your weight and level of exertion, cycling can help with weight loss by burning between 75-670 calories per 30-minute session.
Can cycling bulk you up?
Because of the nature of cycling, it’s more useful for burning calories than bulking up. Having said that, it’s possible that your waist, bum and thighs will trim down and tone up. This is what makes it a great addition for people on a weight loss journey.
As you progress and start to cycle longer distances, your core and back will get stronger and firmer, and your legs will greatly increase in strength.
Other Health Benefits of Cycling
In addition to helping you lose weight, cycling can:
- Manage stress
- Treat type 2 diabetes
- Improve cardiovascular function
- Strengthen and tone muscles
Cycling is undeniably beneficial for your overall health, not just weight loss!