If you are searching for a super berry that you can consume to give your health a boost, you must try the lingonberry. This is actually a berry that is chock-full of antioxidants and various body-enhancing phytonutrients. This certain small yet powerful berry has various nutritional and medicinal benefits. In general, people consume it whole or even as a juice. It is not just a delicious addition to the diet, it is also good for the maintenance of the health. Get to know about the different health benefits of lingonberry, give this article a read!
Lingonberry: What is this?
Table of Contents
The lingonberry scientifically known as Vaccinium vitis-ideaea is actually a delightful semi-sour small fruit that belongs to the same plant family as the cranberry and blueberry. Moreover, the perennial plant wherein the berry grows is actually native to the subarctic and arctic regions.
Whether you choose to eat them cooked or in raw form, they are unquestionably delicious. In today’s day and time, lingonberry is considered as a grander berry to cranberry. These two are a great choice in shakes, juices, and jams. Furthermore, the fruit is often used in the regions of Scandinavia, especially in making jams. Not just that, it is also popular for breakfast meals, as a spread in crepes, toasts, and pancakes.
The sauces and jams that are from lingonberries are also a famous ingredient that may spice up the meat dishes. If you ever tried going to Sweden, you should try the meatballs that are served in a delicious cranberry sauce. Yum!
Moreover, the lingonberry is hugely distributed all over the areas in the Northern hemisphere. This includes Canada, Greenland, Northern United States, and Scandinavia. Just like the better-known kinds of berry, the lingonberries do not just taste delicious, they are also oozing with so many healthy nutrients.
Nutritional Facts of Lingonberry
A hundred grams serving of the lingonberries may provide about 53 calories. It may also have 1.2 grams of fat content, and 11.5 grams of carbohydrates. Furthermore, they also contain a minimal amount of dietary fiber and vitamin C. As well as small quantities of the vitamin B complex family. Not just that, they also have erratic levels of essential vitamins and minerals, including iron, magnesium, copper, zinc, calcium, potassium, and phosphorus.
Lingonberry vs. Some Other Berries
You may be are wondering if you must leave the other kinds of berries for the wide-ranging health benefits of lingonberry. I am telling you, variety is always a better thing. This is since various foods can provide various effects on the body. Nevertheless, the different health benefits of this berry contrary to the bilberry or blueberry, for instance, are quite similar.
In the actual fact, the lingonberry is a part of the cranberry and blueberry family. Each is powerful berries, which contains tons of disease-fighting antioxidant properties. This is what makes them all a huge part of the superberry family.
Health Benefits of Lingonberry
Here are some of the most amazing health benefits of lingonberry:
- May help in keeping a healthy mouth. We know too well that bacteria may easily form in the mouth, thus causing the development of plaque. Studies suggest that the consumption of various antimicrobial foods, like the lingonberry, is beneficial in reducing the risk of the formation of bacteria in the mouth.
- Help reduce the occurrence of UTI in women. You may have heard about the possible effects of cranberry in giving relief to the symptoms of UTI. Nevertheless, the lingonberry can be another great choice. Those women with UTI due to Escherichia coli may take lingonberry juice to reduce the recurrence of the UTI infection.
- May help in preventing the growth of a cancer cell. A study suggests that extracts from ten different fruits and berries, including lingonberry, has an effect on the reduction of the proliferation of the colon cancer cells and breast cancer cells. This is undeniably one of the best health benefits of lingonberry.
- Helps in reducing the inflammation in the body. One study found out that participants who consumed the lingonberries obtained larger levels of quercetin, which possesses anti-inflammatory properties. This is beneficial in treating chronic inflammation issues, like arthritis.
- Rich in antioxidants. The lingonberries are oozing with antioxidants, which is beneficial in preventing bacterial infection, like the staphylococcus. Usually, you may obtain staph infection through eating foods that are infested with bacteria. This may happen a bit easier when food is shipped processed, handled, etc.
The lingonberry concentrate is partly okay when you take it orally as guided. Nonetheless, it may not be that safe to use the lingonberry leaves for a long period of time. This is for the reason that it may cause vomiting and nausea.
Furthermore, some concerns even suggest that there is a concern with regards to the liver damage that is due to the bacteria that it may kill in the urine. Nevertheless, more and more studies are necessary in order to confirm this. Moreover, if you are breastfeeding or pregnant, always check with your doctor before trying new foods.