We often see seaweed in markets and in various dishes and cuisines all over the world. But what other people don’t know is that seaweed is oozing with so many health benefits. As a matter of fact, the health benefits of seaweed include, providing relief from obesity, cancer, radiation poisoning, diabetes, and influenza. Furthermore, it also helps in improving dental health, digestive health, and cardiovascular health. I will be discussing some of these health benefits later in this article. If you want to learn more about seaweed, feel free to give this article a read. Worry less, you will learn a lot from this article!
Seaweed: What is this?
Table of Contents
Seaweed is actually a general terminology that is used to define several species of marine and algae plants, which breed in diverse water bodies, just like the oceans and rivers. Furthermore, they grow in wide range of sizes from minute to gargantuan. Most seaweeds in the ocean are average-sized and are available in a lot of colors like green, brown, and red. They may be spotted universally on the coastlines or seashores.
The microscopic seaweed like the phytoplankton grows hanging in the body of waters. The bigger ones like the giant kelp that is one of the most humongous plants all over the world. It grows immensely and stands like a tree underwater. Its roots are at the foot of the sea. Dissimilar to that of a weed, which grows copiously and may be risky to the area it resides in. Furthermore, it plays a significant role in marine life. As a matter of fact, it serves as a foundation for the mainstream of the food chains as well as provide a home to various marine creatures. Additionally, seaweed possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties, which have been trusted for delivering health benefits to the health from the ancient times.
Nutritional Content of Seaweed
The seaweed contains an enormous variety of health supporting components in comparison to the mainstream of some other animal and plant-based foods existing on the land. Furthermore, it’s an opulent source of vital minerals like iron, iodine, zinc, selenium, potassium, copper, calcium, magnesium. Moreover, it’s also low in fat content.
Additionally, it’s also a powerhouse of essential antioxidants, rich fiber, and phytonutrients content, which is necessary for the body. The vitamins that are existing in seaweed are the vitamin K, vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin B, and vitamin A. Furthermore, it also possesses omega 3 fatty acids, as well as all the important amino acids essential for the body.
Uses of Seaweed
Seaweeds possess a nice flavor and is being served as a condiment in various Asian countries like Korea, China, and Japan. Seaweed like carrageenans and agars are used in various processed food items like health drinks, yogurt, non-vegetarian dishes, as well as beer. Furthermore, the famous Japanese sushi rolls use seaweed known as nori as ingredients in raw fish and rice.
- Cattle and fish feed
- Wastewater treatment
- Plant growth
- Manufacturing usage
Furthermore, the health benefits of seaweed are in an immense range. Not just that, a lot of people also love seaweed for its very own distinct flavor. Continue scrolling to learn more about the health benefits that I am talking about.
Health Benefits of Seaweed
Here are some of the most surprising health benefits of seaweed:
- Helps in protecting heart Seaweed is beneficial in sustaining the lower levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in the body. This is essential for the maintenance of a healthy heart, preventing fatal illnesses, and increasing circulation in the blood vessels.
- Helps in preventing influenza. Seaweed possesses antiviral properties, which have been essential to providing a promising defensive effect against the influenza virus. The extracts from seaweed impede the immersion of hurtful viral elements in the cells, as well as prevent the body from getting the infection.
- Helps in detoxifying the body. Seaweed has the capacity to cleanse and detoxify the body. It also facilitates the excretion of toxic Furthermore, the binding property of the alginate that is present in it actually makes toxic materials, including the heavy metals.
- Possess anti-coagulant properties. Seaweed possesses anti-coagulant and antioxidant properties. These anti-coagulants are what they commonly call the blood thinners, prevent the blood clot formation and reduce the threat of cardiac failure, stroke, etc.
- Aids in dental The seaweed extracts possess preventive effects on the growth of cavities, the anti-inflammatory properties are essential in improving the functioning of the salivary glands.
- Helps in treating diabetes. The fucoxanthin in the seaweed is operative in exerting some anti-diabetic properties. Research shows that the anti-diabetic properties may be in connection to the existence of the alginic acid in seaweed kombu.
- Helps in preventing obesity. Scientific research shows that the seaweed possesses some anti-obesity effects. Furthermore, the fucoxanthin in it helps in the reduction of the accumulation of fats.
- Helps in fighting off cancer. There are cancer-fighting agents in the seaweed, which helps in treating tumors and cancer illnesses like leukemia and colon cancer. This is one of the best health benefits of seaweed.