There are so many types of cooking oil available in markets, grocery stores, etc. One is the palm oil. Have you heard of this one before? Have you tried using it in cooking? Well, basically, palm oil is a type of oil, which comes from the extract of the fruits of the palm. It is one of the most popular oils used in cooking dishes all over the world. But the culinary field is not the only field where you can use this amazing oil. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of essential nutrients in the palm oil. All of which contribute to the different health benefits of palm oil. These include giving protection against heart conditions, prevent premature aging, boost the immune system, prevent cancer, and improve vision and energy levels. If you want to learn more about palm oil, give this article a read.
Palm Oil: What is this?
In the actual fact, palm oil is a greatly beneficial vegetable oil, which mainly comes from the pulp of the palm fruit’s oil. Even though the palm oil is principally used for frying various kinds of foods, you may also use it in preparing some other types of cuisines. You can also incorporate this healthy oil into your everyday diet. Moreover, the palm oil is a great source of good fats if you add it to the diet plan moderately. Furthermore, the use of the palm oil is actually as old as 3000 BC. In the actual fact, archaeologists found some traces of palm oil in the Egyptian tombs.
Moreover, the palm oil trade has been existing for over thousands of years. It is also thought that the Arabian traders were the one who introduced the palm oil to the Egyptians. In addition, the origin of the extraction of the oil from the palm plant comes mainly in Africa and is actually considered to be one of the earliest traded commodities.
The British Industrial revolution was positively affected by the trade of palm oil. In fact, it has expanded the use of palm oil to the international market. Afterward, the palm oil became one of the raw materials for many manufacturing and production activities. Not just that, it was also used as a base for lubricants and candle allover Europe.
This particular use of palm oil has prompted a great interest in the oil’s extraction. Also, a lot of investors put a huge amount of money into it. Furthermore, the formal start of cultivation of palm oil actually started in Asia and Africa. Moreover, the palm oil is a great source of both saturated and unsaturated fat and has a lot of uses other than in the culinary field.
Nutrient Composition of Palm Oil
Here’s the nutritional content of about 14 grams or 1 tbsp. of palm oil:
- 11% daily value of Vitamin E
- 5 grams of polyunsaturated fat
- 5 grams of monounsaturated fat
- 7 grams of saturated fat
- 14 grams of fat
- 114 calories
All of the fat of palm oil actually comes from the calories. The breakdown of fatty acid is 10% polyunsaturated fats, 40% monounsaturated fats, and 50% saturated fats.
The major type of saturated fat in the palm oil is actually a palmitic acid that contributes to about 44% of the calories. Furthermore, it also has high of oleic acid and fewer amounts of stearic and linoleic acid.
In the red palm oil, its reddish-orange color actually stems from its antioxidant properties called carotenoids like beta-carotene that the body is able to convert into vitamin A.
Moreover, in the fractioned palm oil, the liquid portion of the oil is disregarded by the filtering and crystallizing process. The other solid portion is much higher in saturated fat and has a much higher melting point.
Health Benefits of Palm Oil
Here are some of the most magical health benefits of palm oil:
- Helps in reducing the risk of cancer. The tocopherols, a form of vitamin E, are natural kinds of antioxidants, which may be beneficial in preventing cancer. This is by way of neutralizing the free radicals in the body. This is one of the best health benefits of palm oil.
- Helps in preventing cardiovascular conditions. The palm oil is rich in both HDL and LDL cholesterol, yet although one is good, the other one is bad, it may still create a much healthier balance in the body.
- Helps in improving the vision. The beta-carotene content of the palm oil is very important for the improvement of the vision. The antioxidants in the palm oil actually act as a powerful defensive mechanism for the body. These are the good by-products of cellular metabolism and may help in protecting against free radicals.
- Helps in improving energy The beta-carotene of the palm oil is essential in improving the energy levels of the body. Moreover, it also helps in boosting the hormonal balance in our body.