Have you ever heard of the echinacea before? Well, this is actually an herb, which also includes a certain group of herbaceous, flowering perennial plants. It is mainly valued for all of its amazing medicinal properties. As a matter of fact, there is more to echinacea than meets the eye. The health benefits of echinacea include its own capability to eliminate ear infections and prevent its reoccurrence, boost the oral health, treat anxiety, regulate the blood sugar levels, speed up recovery and healing, treat skin conditions, reduce inflammation, eliminate viral and bacterial infections, and prevent cancer, among others. Give this article a read and get to learn more about this amazing echinacea.
Echinacea: What is this?
The echinacea, as stated above includes a certain group of flowering, herbaceous perennial plants, which is part of the daisy plant family. It is mostly valued for its amazing medicinal properties. Furthermore, the echinacea genus has about nine major species that are typically called coneflowers like the Tenessee Coneflower or the Pale Purple Coneflower. Moreover, the flowers are attractive, and some of the varieties may grow up to about 4 feet tall. Furthermore, the flamboyant heads of the plant are easy to distinguish, and you may typically find them in the central and eastern North America. These are also the regions wherein they are native to.
Moreover, the echinacea is typically classified as a kind of herb, even though a lot of people think of it as a type of flower. Various parts of the plants, like its root, stem, leaves, and flowers possess a lot of phenolic compounds, which are essential for the overall health. These compounds include the following:
- Caftaric acid
- Cichoric acid
Furthermore, the Plains Indians actually used the echinacea for over hundreds of years in their own herbal medicines. In addition, even in the 19th and the 20th centuries, it’s turned to as an herbal option in boosting the immune system and fight against infections. It’s long been referred to as one of the greatest ways of preventing conditions like colds.
Nevertheless, the echinacea may cease to have a good effect and may in fact, impact the T-cells in a negative way if you use it in large quantities reliably. It must not be overworked, yet when you need it, there’s nothing that works better!
Health Benefits of Echinacea
Here are some of the most special health benefits of echinacea:
- Helps in enhancing the detoxification. The echinacea is actually a diuretic, laxative, and carminative. Studies say that it is beneficial in healing the gastrointestinal tract. Furthermore, it is also essential in the enhancement of detoxification.
- Good for mental The echinacea is beneficial in treating ADD or attention deficit disorder in both adults and children. Those who are suffering from this condition may show some frequent symptoms of social phobia, depression, and anxiety.
- Helps in controlling the blood sugar levels. The consumption of echinacea tea is beneficial in controlling sugar It also prevents diabetes spikes and prevents a fall to those hypoglycemic patients. All thanks to the antioxidant properties that it possesses.
- Beneficial for the better wound healing. The echinacea may help in speeding up the new skin cell formation and help eliminate the bacteria from the system much quicker than some other medications.
- Aids in oral Studies show that there is a connection between the reduction of gingivitis and echinacea. This makes sense if you are to consider that gingivitis is a bacterial infection. The regular supplementation of echinacea may be effective in keeping the teeth strong and healthy.
- Helps in preventing cancer. The echinacea has a connection in preventing cancer as it helps in stimulating the immune system of the body to eliminate the cancerous cells. Even though echinacea isn’t considerable as an antioxidant, it may definitely help in eliminating the free radicals. This is one of the best health benefits of echinacea.
- Reduces infections. The echinacea is essential in treating recurring infections like urinary tract infections, gum diseases, ear infections, malaria, and many others. This herb allows for various immune boosting compounds in order to build up and stay in the body.
Side Effects of Echinacea
The echinacea is very dangerous id you consume the recommended dosage of it in any forms. There are various treatments that will require you to consume the echinacea tea in various quantities. It is very important that you consume only what your doctor advises you to take. The overconsumption of it has a lot of side effects. This includes the following:
- Joint ache
- Muscle ache
- A sore throat
- Dry mouth
- Numbness of the tongue
Furthermore, those who are allergic to the echinacea may also suffer from various allergic reactions like rashes, itchiness, and redness of the skin. Moreover, if you are also taking some painkillers, the echinacea may negatively affect the liver. Those who are suffering from auto-immune conditions, and children, as well as lactating and pregnant mothers, are advisable to consult medical practitioners or physicians before adding the echinacea to their own diet.