There are a lot of types of diet in the whole world that are all beneficial for the overall health, and mainly for losing weight. One of which is the keto diet. This is one of the famous diet plans that we have. This diet, however, has some bad image to some people, but the benefits of it overweigh it all. If you want to know more about the benefits of keto diet, feel free to read on to this article.
What is Keto Diet?
The ketogenic or keto diet is renowned because of it, being a diet that is low in carbs. Meaning, the body yields ketones on the liver that will be used as a source energy. Furthermore, it is also referred to as low carb high-fat diet, low carb diet, and more.
Since glucose is used as a primary source of energy, the fats are not that much needed and are therefore getting stored in the body. Usually, in a normal and diet that has a higher carbohydrate content, the body will be using the glucose as its main source of energy. By way of lowering the intake of carbohydrates, the body will be induced into some state, which is also known as ketosis.
Ketosis is the natural process initiated by the body to help us live on in the even that the food intake is low. In the course of this state, we then produce ketones that are produced from the fat breakdown in the liver.
The main goal of the keto diet is to force the body in its metabolic state. However, this is not done by way of starving. Our bodies, as we know, are amazingly adaptive to whatever you put in it. When you overload it with fats get rid of carbs, it will burn the ketones as its primary energy source. The optimal ketone levels may offer a lot of mental performance, physical, weight loss, as well as health benefits.
Types of Keto Diets
There are a number of types of the keto diet, including:
- High-protein keto diet: this type of keto diet is almost the same as the standard keto diet. However, it has more protein in it. Its ratio is often 5 percent carbs, 35 percent protein, and 60 percent fat.
- Targeted keto diet: TKD allows you to add carbohydrates to
- Cyclical keto diet: CKD this diet usually involves times of higher carbohydrate refeeds, just like 5 keto days then followed by 2 high-carbohydrate days.
- Standard keto diet: SKD has a very low carbs content, high in fat, and moderate protein diet. Furthermore, it also contains about 5 percent carbohydrates, 20 percent protein, and 75 percent fat.
However, only the high-protein and standard keto diets have been thoroughly studied. The targeted or cyclical keto diets are way more advanced and are primarily used by athletes or bodybuilders.
Benefits of Keto Diet
The reason why keto diet works are that it can amazingly help you in achieving various goals. Not only that, the benefits of the keto diet are so many, thus making it an awesome choice when it comes to diet plans. Below are some of the most staggering benefits of the keto diet.
- Helps in getting rid of acne. You read it right, by switching to the keto diet, you’ll be able to achieve a more improved skin. Reducing dairy intake and following a strict skin cleaning regimen can be a great help.
- Insulin resistance. The insulin resistance may lead to type 2 diabetes is left untreated. Furthermore, the abundant amount of research actually shows that a keto diet that is low in carbohydrates may help in lowering the insulin levels to a much healthier range. Moreover, even though you are athletic, you may benefit from the insulin optimization on keto diet through eating foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Blood pressure and cholesterol. Keto diet is beneficial in improving the cholesterol as well as the triglyceride levels that are associated with the arterial buildup. More precisely, high fat, low carb diets show a drastic increase in the HDL and decrease in the LDL concentration comparable to low-fat diets.
- Epilepsy. The keto diet is beneficial as a therapy for those who have uncontrolled epilepsy. Not only that, keto diet also helps by allowing fewer medications while still offering an excellent control of the condition.
- Increased energy and normalized hunger. If you switch to a keto diet, you’ll be giving your body a better and more reliable source of energy. Not only that, you will also feel more energized during the day.
- Mental focus. The keto diet is beneficial in increasing the mental focus and performance. Furthermore, studies also show that the increase in the intake of fatty acids may have an impact on the function of the brain.
- Control blood sugar. The keto diet lowers the sugar levels because of the foods we eat. Studies also show that the keto diet is much more effective in managing and preventing diabetes compared to any low-calorie diets.
- Weight loss. The keto diet basically uses the body fat as its energy source. Hence, it can obviously help in losing weight. Furthermore, the insulin levels in keto diet have a drastic drop, which makes the body into a fat burning machine.