Have you ever heard of or seen a delicata squash before? Have you ever tasted one? Delicata squash is a kind of winter squash good for various cuisines and for your health. If you want to learn more about this particular type of squash, keep reading this article!
Delicata Squash: What Is It?
The delicata squash is a winter squash with a deliciously nutty and creamy taste, which some people liken to sweet potatoes. t is also called sweet potato squash, Bohemian squash, or peanut squash. Although people consider it a winter vegetable, it is actually the same species as most summer squashes, offering a soft texture which can be easily chopped and sliced without baking it.
Delicata squash is an long-oblong-shaped squash with a cream color, green stripes and thick outer skin or rind. Its inner flesh is gold and finely-textured. Furthermore, it is considered a novelty squash, ranging between 5-10 inches long and weighing about 1-2 lbs.
Delicata squash may be baked or steamed and served as a side dish with a butter and herb seasoning. It holds its shape when cooked, so it even creates an edible bowl which you can stuff with meat or other delicious foods. It has the same nutritional profile of butternut squash, making it a healthy alternative.
Delicata Squash: Nutritional Profile
Some of the nutrients in found delicata squash include potassium, folate, protein, zinc, dietary fiber, vitamin C and vitamin A. There also are some key antioxidants in the squash, making it a desirable food for those seeking a healthy diet. Now, let’s take a look at the nutritional facts of the squash. Each 100-gram serving may contain:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||0.1 grams||0.5%|
|Dietary Fiber||2 grams||5%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.400 milligrams||8%|
|Vitamin A||10630 IU||354%|
|Vitamin C||21 milligrams||35%|
|Vitamin E||1.44 milligrams||10%|
|Vitamin K||1.1 µg||1%|
Health Benefits of Delicata Squash
Here are some of the most interesting health benefits of delicata squash:
- Helps ward off illnesses. Delicata squash is one of the biggest providers of vitamin C, know for its wide array of benefits, including its ability to help you fight colds and boost your immunity.
- May enhance the eyesight. Delicata squash has a rich vitamin A content, important for good vision and a healthy eyesight. If you are lacking vitamin A, you may not produce the pigments necessary to see the full spectrum light. This can lead to various eye conditions, like dry eyes and night blindness.
- Helps build healthy bones and reduces the risk of osteoporosis. The calcium in the vegetable promotes strong and healthy teeth and bones, especially when we grow older.
- Helps produce healthy cells. Delicata squash is vital for our iron production. Iron promotes the formation of proteins, which provide oxygen to the bloodstream, body and muscles.
- Provides fiber. Delicata squash is rich in fiber, particularly through its skin. As we remember, fiber is very important in normalizing bowel movements, lowering cholesterol and controlling blood sugar levels.
- Gluten-free food. The delicata squash can be a good alternative or substitute for pasta, which contains a lot of gluten. This is one of the best health benefits of delicata squash, especially to those who are gluten intolerant.